• 1 Post By PontiacJim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
wire wheeling frame

Will be pulling my engine this spring and want to clean up and paint the frame in the engine compartment. I am in a rural area and don't have access to media/sandblasting equipment. I plane to wire wheel all exposed areas of the frame any tips or things to look out for would be very appreciated. Will be using a 4.5 hand grinder with wire wheel. Have see paint removal disk n a few web sites has anyone used these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:15 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhickey View Post
Will be pulling my engine this spring and want to clean up and paint the frame in the engine compartment. I am in a rural area and don't have access to media/sandblasting equipment. I plane to wire wheel all exposed areas of the frame any tips or things to look out for would be very appreciated. Will be using a 4.5 hand grinder with wire wheel. Have see paint removal disk n a few web sites has anyone used these?
If wire brushing with the grinder, make sure you wear protective eye wear. Those bristles do come loose and can be shot out at you -and its always the eyes and never anywhere else.

You probably have several options to include the wire wheel. I found this, although a kit, you might do a web search for individual brushes. Looks better than the wire wheel. Abrasives - Grinding & Cutting | Discs | 3M™ Scotch-Brite™ Bristle Disc, 4-1/2 in x 5/8-11 Internal - Pkg Qty 5 | B298299 - GlobalIndustrial.com

Here is another option. I use something like this type from Walmart, ScotchBrite I think, with a drill motor that works pretty good. They clean well and I think better & faster than a wire wheel. These here are for a grinder, so probably faster than a drill: https://www.empireabrasives.com/4-1-...-removal-disc/ and YouTube:

And finally, the Flap Disc works good. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Proxxon-...yABEgI5e_D_BwE

These are all pretty good and I think better than the wire wheel. I like the ScotchBrite type discs as they are somewhat flexible and better for contours. They use up quicker than a wire wheel, but if you get better results, they are about the same in cost and less labor in my opinion. So you might want to try any of these and see what you like. None of them are all too costly. Just use eye & ear protection, and I also use a cheap dust mask so I'm not inhaling all the crap flying about in the air. Then when done, you got an excuse to have a beer to wash any residue dust from your throat.
deanhickey likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks Jim, when doing this type of work I wear goggles and a face shield. I have also found a needle attachment for my rattle gun on line., it's short money so will give it a try with the flap disks. I just hope there is good metal underneath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Paint Shop Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in