LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Garage
A few shows in the NC/SC area

March 15, 16 & 17, 2018 - Run to the Sun car show @ the former Myrtle Square Mall, 2501 N. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577. 3,000 plus cars/free.

April 5-8, 2018 - Charlotte AutoFair @ Charlotte Motor Speedway. Public Parking is $5 per vehicle. Public admission is $11 plus tax, per person under 12 with adults, are free. Spring is the better swap meet versus the Fall show.

May 18th, and 19th, 2018 - Steel In Motion car show @ Union County Dragway, 2102 Santuc-Carlisle Hwy, Union, SC 29379. Spectators are $20 for a Friday/Saturday combo or $20 for Saturday alone. If you like Gassers, pre-1970 cars, flag drop racing, rocka-billy bands, and good food, this is it.

You can pull all of these shows up on the internet and get more info.
1968gto421 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Jim, Thanks for posting these, keep up the good work!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968gto421 View Post
Jim, Thanks for posting these, keep up the good work!
Did not make Charlotte as I go on Saturday and it basically rained until about noon and I know water makes a lot of mud on the infield, so I passed. Did not really need anything, just wanted to browse.

If you can, and the weather is good, Steel In Motion is highly recommended. Love gasser's! and of course all the cars in the show, swap meet, pin-up contest, bands, food, people watching, and talking with owners. Always wear down the battery in my camera on this one.
1968gto421 likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So here is my complete review of the 3 shows I generally attend. The Charlotte show overview is basically a repeat of above.

The Run to the Sun was a great event as always. Had overcast skies, but actually pretty good. My buddy had his peach colored steel bodied 1934 Ford 2DR in the show. More cars than I have ever seen and I know I did not get to see all of them. Stayed overnight at my buddies house and headed out in the morning, but not before stopping at Broadway at the Beach and taking in all the shops and lunch at Johnny Rockets. So the first event of the season was a success.

Well, this summer's weather is looking as poor as last year. Did not take in the Autofair due to wet weather in the morning which cleared up by noonish. I know the place can turn into a mud pit from past experience. Did not need anything at this time, so skipped the event.

Steel In Motion was flat out cancelled due to rain. I took Friday off from work to attend. It rained buckets in the morning as I went to visit my buddy's machine shop (went google-eyed over the 2 complete and rebuilt 409CI Chevy engines - both stroked to 474 cubes and one was for a 1955 Chevy show car). It cleared up by the afternoon so I drove 1 hour to the event only to learn it was cancelled. Talked with the man (new management) who leases/runs the track and he said he was going to re-schedule it in the fall, possibly September. Unfortunately, Saturday was perfect, so the weather men were wrong again! The event was cancelled on Facebook, but I am not a Facebook user. So, 1 hour back to home, but it is a nice & enjoyable country road drive with little traffic and a few small towns. Took in a good barbecue pork sandwich along the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Southeast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in