LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Garage
May 13 & 14Th Union County Dragway, SC

"Steel In Motion" at the Union County Dragway, Union, South Carolina.

I went last year as my first time to this meet. Didn't know what to expect or how good it was. Open to Pre-70 Traditional Hot Rods, Customs, Gassers, and Front Engine Dragsters. My first observation was that it seemed a bit disorganized, but don't let this detract from what it is. I would call this show more of a cult style meet as it leans towards the rat rod scene and the Rock-a-Billy crowd - which is cool.

The "regulars" go every year with many camping right on the grounds. The show includes vintage campers which was really neat to see - like the '61 Chevy wagon towing its period restored camper. Rat rods of all kinds are scattered around the field & assorted period era motorcycles as well. Of course other hot rods, muscle cars, and stock type cars. The focal point of the weekend is the 1/8th mile old school style drag racing with flag start and whomever gets to the finish line first wins, no Christmas Tree, no times or MPH scores kept, just flat out racing. The highlight is the old style "Gassers" which there were a number of. Plus front engined dragsters and a drag race between 2 alky/nitro powered Mopar altered wheelbase cars ala 1964 style.

They have a stage where several bands play in the evening, but again, Rock-a-Billy is the sound. There was a Pin-Up contest for the gals who dressed up in the era style that you see in the rat rod magazines. Food and refreshments were available, had a great barbecue platter. A small swap meet area that included some vendors and even a pin stripe guy to do your car.

The downside. They allow minibikes to zip all over as this seems to be part of it - and its not regulated and they don't go slow. Kids zip all over and I almost stepped back on one and I watch one adult male take a good digger on his and tear up his arm pretty good. There is no cover from the sun, short of the mens room or a trip back to your car. The stands to watch the drags has no overhead protection. Some participants brought those portable folding tents and folding chairs - they had been there before - and set up along the fence to watch the drag racing. Sun screen & a hat is mandatory here.

Overall, very cool event. I went Friday evening & Saturday. I love the Gassers and this alone was worth it for me. Throw in the rat rods & the barbecue and I'm good to go. Talked at length with the owner of "Bad News", the Hemi powered, alky/nitro, fuel injected, altered wheelbase Mopar. Learned a few things as well. It is not an original car, but recreated in the spirit of an original altered and used for match racing.

More info & pictures here: Steel in Motion | Hot Rods and Guitars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Sounds like fun and we could use some of that sunshine, very foggy up here and snowing.
Skiers coming up to take advantage of the fresh powder and the tow trucks are all out clearing the wrecks.
The goat is tucked in and covered, it won't be seeing any use for awhile now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Southeast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in