Pontiac GTO Forum banner

400 miles and No Challenges

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  taz4141 
#1 ·
Ok, after that R8 incident, I thought I would be ready for any car ready to do a sprint. You know, the 3 honks and go routine. Not that I am looking because I certainly need no further contact with the police.

I drove 200 miles to a car show and 200 miles back on a lovely sunny hot day-one of our first here.

No challenges or even eye contact. No interest in a race except for a 6 banger mustang convertable who just was driving stupid fast.

Some of you guys have had 3 races in one outing. Is it the area or do I just not see the ricers, stangs, and beamers?

#2 ·
I've only had one just yesterday since I've owned the car when I was out of town. Some kid in a SRT4, unknown mods I know that he had a BOV. I passed him going in the opposite direction at a stop light. My wife, and brother was with me, just messing around and getting Chiniese(sp) food my bro never been in an S/C car before. So I guess the SRT4 guy heard something:D Next thing I know my brother said there is that SRT4 guy that was at the stop light about two miles back. The guy made a U-turn just to show off, reving his car and accelerating fast. I'm not game because family, traffic, and cops I'm not about that crap.

#6 ·
I have owned my car for about 2 months now and had about 4challenges already only one of which did i take Ive had a turbo A4, Old ass honda accord, an early 2000 BMW 5 series, and Toyota Celica all try to challenge me on the street, I like to keep it at the strip, I did a pull from 45mph up against the turbo A4 and suprisingly pulled pretty easily on him once i hit about 80.

#7 ·
Just seemed to me that I read alot about Kills. There is even a Kill section on the LS1 forum. I've owned the GTO for 2 years now and just had that R8 psuedo go for it a few weeks ago. That was when the car pulled next to at 65mph, reved and took off. I was in 5th I think and had no chance. Caught me by surprise because I did not expect to be challenged. I should not get into that game be I commute to work and the last thing I need is a high speed ticket....or worse.

Regarding racing, maybe its location location location.:lol:

#8 ·
Here in the northeast ive had a ton of people try to race me. From a viper, vettes, a ferrari 430 for mentionables to honda accords, maximas, crx, vw vr6, m3, grand prix gtp, mustangs, lexus, s-2000, etc. The only ones ive actually seriously raced are the ferrari, viper, and corvettes (all loses), kids scare me behind the wheel and are unpredictable.

If you're looking for people just go to the closet highway and put it on cruse control at about 85, anyone who sees you pass will try to catch you

#10 ·
i've had no challenges either but in my area there's like four diferent pd's around so it's pretty locked down but there are area's open for it but never any bites. mine's bone stock aside from a k&n cai.

#11 ·
Oh yea i forgot to mention my cousin in his 2002 RSX type-s with just a CAI and cat-back exhaust, but i don't know if that counts because of how easily i pulled on him from a dig, we also went from a 75mph roll up to about 100 and we were dead even the whole way, probably had a disadvantage since I have an A4

#14 ·
Weird! The car I owned before my 2005 GTO was an 87 Toyota Supra Turbo. I never got challenged while I drove it, but when I gave it to my daughter and got the GTO, she has had several challenges in the Supra. I am NOT going to let her drive my GTO though, just for her to have even more fun!.....lol

The local drag strip closed last year, was sold and so far just sits. I kept meaning to give it a try, but...... I have been pulled over by a few cops, for too dark of window tinting, but they both ended up chatting with me about the cars, then cars in general, then let off with a warning, ( I did get the tinting fixed ).

Anyway, maybe someday, I would hate to keep modifying the car just for my own pleasure.

Russ

#15 ·
A buddy of mine located a track about two hours away and we are going to hit it Saturday night if the rain holds off. He went there two weeks ago, private 1/8 mile track, $15 to run all night, open from 5PM to 9PM. He said he got about 30 runs in. He said 10-15 other cars from mild to wild were there and he raced all of them. I'll post up some pic next week if it works out.

#17 ·
most people here the whine under the hood and bow out, even thou i look stock. ive had this car built for almost one year. and had an jag challenge me at a light to hit the high way, i stayed on his butt the till we hit the open road then smack his a$$. pissed he was. when we stop at a turn off he ask what i had . i told him 1/2 the money he has. and left. im sure them jag's are not cheap. aside from that all my challenges have come from the track. probably a good thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.