Another paint problem! Please Help!!! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another paint problem! Please Help!!!

So far, I have had my driver's side door handle replaced due to the paint peeling and I have also had documented the paint starting to bubble up at the seams at the top of the hood.

This time I have a problem with the paint on the front bumper. There was a small road chip there before but while washing it, I noticed in that area that paint started to flake off just by spraying water on it. It was about the size of a dime. I took it to the dealership about a week ago, and they said to give them a call sometime this week and let them know the day before i could come in and they would have a rental for me. I called them up yesterday letting them know that i would be in today, they had the service manager look at it. now it was the size of a nickel! i could see that the paint was still wearing away from that area. you can see on the bumper that the paint is still flaking away. they now told me that it's not covered under warranty??? the reason they gave me was that the bumper is made out of plastic and the road chip caused the paint to start wearing away.

is this right? i have never seen this before. is there a tsb over paint peeling on the front bumper? what else can i do about this?

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 AM

Sorry to read about your paint problems.... my only advise is to discuss the issue again with the stealership and logically point out the factory paint has failed in several locations (its not just localized to the bumper where the chip is located) and the chip only unmasked a larger problem with the bumper paint... that being the bumper paint did not adhere properly, same as the door handle... the proof that the paint applied or prep was flawed, is in the spider webbing on the hood... if they don't buy that argument insist you want contact info for the regional warranty claims manager to discuss it with him directly. I have several small impact chip spots on my bumper and the surrounding paint's intact. Paint only flakes away by itself if the bond was never strong enough to begin with!

Good Luck!

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Funny the dealer doesn`t want to do it, they usually love to do(and get paid for) warranty work.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:22 AM

Yikes.... Never an upside to having factory paint fail and paintwork done, regardless of who pays the bill. Sorry to hear it....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I'd cause all kind of static governing this. NO way does paint flake off over a paint chip.

I am wondering if these cars had water based paint applied to them.
My wifes 04 Grand-AM purchased at Christmas in 03, is driven every day and this includes winter driving and salt conditions. That car does not have 1 single stone chip, not a one. My GTO is in the garage and only driven in good weather and I have quite a few. My Son's Cobolt is driven every day from 2006 on and he has NO stone chips, same with my RAM since October and my 88 4Runner, you can count the chips on one hand.

The paint on these cars suck. PERIOD. I am thinking water based paint is the reason, but I am not sure if it is water based.

I just had installed a clear bra to stop the madness. Anyone know if the paint on these cars is water based?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your reply's! I am trying to get information together so I can prove that this is a defect. Could I go to a different dealership for this? Is there a tsb? I would like to have some kind of paperwork to show them.

I am not sure if the paint on these cars is water based. It makes sense but I'm not sure.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Sorry to hear about all of your paint problems-and your car is kept like new with low miles as well.
Hope the dealer re-paints it for you.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 PM

I had my rear facia replaced due to paint flaking/falling off.I wonder if the monaro nose chips easy or paint issues with the rear facias?Were the GTOs monaros then convered to the GTO after off the assembly line?Were the GTO parts painted separate then installed after monaro parts were removed?The result poorly preped and painted pieces.My local stealership has lifetime warranty on everthing the paint so when I need paint its all them.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedwrenchx10 View Post
I had my rear facia replaced due to paint flaking/falling off.I wonder if the monaro nose chips easy or paint issues with the rear facias?Were the GTOs monaros then convered to the GTO after off the assembly line?Were the GTO parts painted separate then installed after monaro parts were removed?The result poorly preped and painted pieces.My local stealership has lifetime warranty on everthing the paint so when I need paint its all them.
That's a really good point. The GTO front and rear fascias most likely were done "off-line" from Monaro production. And considering that building fixtures, and calibrating/programming the process for running body parts through robotic paint lines and the downstream factory ovens is HUGELY expensive to set up (and then would have to be switched back and forth between Monaro & GTO which would be wholly unfeasible), the GTO bits were likely done the old-fashioned way, by humans.... flawed and inconsistent humans.... And the tendency to chip easily could be attributed to poorer curing/baking techniques/equipment off-line, combined with inconsistant and/or lazy prep-work.

It's all making sense to me now...

Last edited by 69bossnine; 03-21-2008 at 10:28 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:55 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My rear fasica was just replaced last week. Then had to purchase more letter inserts for the GTO cut outs. They told me paint adhesion problem.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in