Upgrading my 06 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Upgrading my 06

I've decided to get my feet wet with my car and add a little extra umph. I'm working with an 06 automatic. I've enjoyed it stock but as usual, got the itch to make it a little quicker.

So, I went to an 1/8 mile track to see where I stand. 9.18 sec is the best time while running at operating temperature. Not terrible but certainly nothing to be super excited about and write home about. It already had a K&N cold air intake and exhaust done with stock exhaust manifold. I was informed that LS engines respond well to advanced timing, so we started with that. We hooked up to an HP tuner and advanced the timing 10 degrees from 500 rpm to 3500rpm and then advanced 5 degrees from 3600rpm to 6500rpm. (I think that's where we stopped). We also made some adjustments such as changing the shift points a little and increasing the shift pressure. This made a WORLD of difference. We didn't go too crazy on the timing, so we didn't have any valve chatter, I just wanted to toss that in. Also made some adjustments with the MAF readings as well, I'm not 100% sure on what was changed, but my tuner assured me it would help. With all that being said, we took it back to the track a week later and the goat was running on average 8.4 sec on the 1/8. Huge increase with just $100 credit on the HP tuner.

Not only does the car run faster and shift harder, but it'll send a little smoke from the tires shifting into 2nd should you stay into the throttle on the street. I was super pleased.....then i got used to it.

Now with all that being said, I've bought a used set of LS3 heads and a LS3 intake. I don't plan on applying 1,000HP to the car but its nice to know that the LS3 heads can handle that kind of power. The heads and intake are going to a machine shop after LS Fest to get ported polished (heads of course) and the intake port matched.

I'm having a little trouble on deciding on a cam. I'm looking at a MS3, but ive seen mixed discussions on having to flycut the pistons. Anyone have any experience in this? I don't think its required as the cam provides around .605 lift (don't quote me). Of course i'll be replacing lifters, push rods, rocker arms with the upgraded trunions, and springs. Then taking off the stock exhaust manifolds and tossing some long tubes on.

Overall, and thanks for hanging on this long. Has anyone here done this combo set up? What were your gains and were you happy? Ive acquired the big dollar items via deals and friends and I plan to move forward, but I'm getting a little ancy and I kinda wanted to see what other people were getting with it so i have a ballpark idea of what to see on the dyno. Id love to have around 475 at the wheels, but i fear i may have to invest just a tad bit more.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
What ever cam you get I would stay with one that works with the stock torque converter. I did Kooks headers and a TVS 2300 Magnacharger and made 460hp and 468tq at the wheels.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
You’ll need a torque converter to get the most out of the car at the track. Just as a comparison my ‘06 6speed went a best of 8.2 in the 1/8 with cold air intake and pypes h-box with stock tune. Auto’s are lazy out of the hole with a stock converter. Going to a bigger cam will just make that worse. So plan on looking at a circle D 3,000+ minimum stall.

For the cam, there are a ton that will give you good HP without flycutting. Texas Speed and Brian Tooley Racing are the kings right now. I’ve got a buddy that did LS3 heads and intake on his 06 with a BTR stage 4 cam. No fly cutting. Did 483hp & 454tq to the wheels. BTR gives you the full kit up front. Cam, push rods, springs, retainers, and its best to order with the trunion kit. Its all standard so you dont have to measure for pushrods and order after the fact. His dyno sheet is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED002858-496C-4CC0-857E-D8C0040655DA_1568029382649.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	121153  

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet, Thanks GTO44 and Plowboy. After speaking with some folks at LS Fest, because there were a ton of GTOs, I have a better warm and fuzzy on the fly cutting or lack there of. Also, I agree on the stall as well. I figure I might as well do that while I'm installing everything else this winter. 483hp & 454tq are great numbers and where id like to be for sure being N/A.

I've also got a set of 3.91s ordered for the rear as well. I really just compared it to what everyone else was happy with. Considering this won't be a daily, those gears will be just fine and I'll be able to drive it around and be happy. When I have everything installed and tuned, i'd like to be running mid 7s on the 1/8 and drive it on home. Maybe hurt some feelings along the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in