User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
V8 Grand Prix by Holden

This is not the new gto it A grand prix,what an relief

Grand Prix by Holden: GM's Australian outpost wants to follow up the GTO with a sedan

By Joshua Dowling
Photography by Charlie Gearside

Keeping to the tire tracks of the Pontiac GTO, General Motors's Australian outpost wants to export its new rear-drive V-8 sport sedan to the U.S. as the next Pontiac Grand Prix.

GM's Australian division, Holden, launched its all-new Commodore in July, the first vehicle based on GM's rear-drive Zeta architecture to go into production. The Commodore has been Australia's biggest-selling car for the past decade, but Holden is increasingly relying on exports to ensure that local production of its large sedan remains viable.

The car Holden proposes as the next Grand Prix is based on the new Holden Commodore SS-V, which is powered by GM's new 6.0-liter Vortec V-8 with 362 horses and 390 pound-feet of torque, available with six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmissions and running on 19-inch wheels. Holden shipped a Commodore SS-V, the performance flagship of the new Holden range, to Detroit for a strategy board meeting with high-level GM executives in early August.

The American boss of Holden, Denny Mooney, told Australian media at the launch of the new Commodore that Holden could help with GM's plans to take Pontiac all rear-drive. "I think if you talk to anyone at Pontiac, he'd tell you he'd love a rear-drive performance Grand Prix. The SS-V would make a great Pontiac. But I'm not going to oversell this thing. We're going to send these cars over there and let them speak for themselves."

The SS-V will be driven by GM chairman Rick Wagoner and global product chief Bob Lutz, among others. They also will drive a luxury, long-wheelbase version of the Commodore, sold as a Holden Caprice in Australia. Holden had planned to export the new Caprice to the U.S. as a Buick (the design and engineering were finalized more than a year ago), but those plans were scrapped when GM focused its energy toward a new range of SUVs in North America.

Holden hasn't given up hope of exporting the Holden Caprice to the U.S., but it may now not be sold as a Buick. In Australia, the Caprice, which rolls on a 118.5-inch wheelbase--some 4.0 inches longer than the standard Commodore--is available with a 261-horse version of the 3.6-liter high-feature V-6 as well as the 362-horse V-8. Standard transmission is GM's new 6L80E six-speed automatic, also used in the Cadillac STS and C6 Corvette

ʞuıɥʇ noʎ ʇ,uop 'ǝɹɹɐzıq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:21 AM

Imagine. All of those nit-wits in Detroit -- and the only interesting automobiles GM makes, outside of the specialty Corvette -- come from Australia.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
Imagine. All of those nit-wits in Detroit -- and the only interesting automobiles GM makes, outside of the specialty Corvette -- come from Australia.

+1. Sad, innit?

They need to drop the Grand Prix name as well...way too many negative connotations.

Hell, I can't even say it without laughing.

While they're at it...even after two years of owning my rebadged Holden, Pontiac elicits a chuckle as well. Just sell them a frikken Holdens already! Dump the baggage!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM

Went to the San Francisco Auto Show last week. Absolutely nobody in any of the GM booths. Meanwhile, the BMW, Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Porsche and Mercedes booths looked like a bunch of college students packing into a phone booth.

GM should turf Pontiac and Buick -- and convert Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealerships to Holden/GMC ones. Stand alone Chevy stores are OK. Cadillac and Hummer should be combined. Flush Saturn -- as the new Aura and whatever their new CUV is have both arrived DOA (the bean counters got 'em). Saab stores could become GM import ones, where neat stuff from Vauxhall (VXRs) and Opel (Speedster) are sold along with the Swedish stuff.

But, noooooo. GMNA, fresh off of completely blowing the Monaro/GTO in the US -- are going to "stay the course" by reviving a brand that nobody has the courage to admit is as dead as Oldsmobile. If I worked at GM, I would probably go postal after a week.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 PM

Problem is GM is a public company. The car people don't get their way, the bean counters do. That's why Ford is buying everyone out to go private again so they can control their own destiny. It's hard to compete with countries when your own government ties your hands behind your back. Honda et al aren't car companies they're Corporate Nippon and wonder why the tariff for American iron is over 60% in Japan, in the uS it's 3-5% tops. Even with all that Chevy has a pretty good line up. I aggree with flushing Buick though, should've kept Olds.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 GTO M6 View Post
It's hard to compete with countries when your own government ties your hands behind your back. Honda et al aren't car companies they're Corporate Nippon and wonder why the tariff for American iron is over 60% in Japan, in the uS it's 3-5% tops.
Wow. Nice cop out.

Irrelevant, but you gotta love the attempt.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:21 PM

The GTO is the only Pontiac I would ever buy. I've hated all the other one's they make. I didn't care for the GTO at first till I sat inside, wow, I couldn't believe how it compared to my Bimmer. Then I heard it was made by Holden and it all made sense again. Pontiac couldn't make a good car with the people there. I say bring all that they can over here and dump some of these small crappy companies. Just don't try to slap GTO or anything on the name. They need their own names.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenizlev View Post
The GTO is the only Pontiac I would ever buy. I've hated all the other one's they make. I didn't care for the GTO at first till I sat inside, wow, I couldn't believe how it compared to my Bimmer. Then I heard it was made by Holden and it all made sense again. Pontiac couldn't make a good car with the people there. I say bring all that they can over here and dump some of these small crappy companies. Just don't try to slap GTO or anything on the name. They need their own names.
As an unrepentant Bimmerhead, I concur %100.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 11:05 PM

its an ss-v? the plain old ss is faster/cheaper, less weight from all the extra electrical crap you never use.
but hey, more equipment is good for bragging i spose
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 10:48 PM

sweet car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in