2009 Challenger for sale with a catch - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2009 Challenger for sale with a catch

I was running by my Dodge dealership by my house when I see a new Challenger sitting out there. It was $41K with a 'Market adjustment' of
+$25K bringing the grand total to $66,000.00. I know people will pay it but you are just flushing that $25k down the toilet and will never be able to recover it. The same company has a Ford dealership next door and was doing that with the 2007 Cobra GT500 the year before. $44K with $25K mark up. I just saw a used one for sale with 5K miles on their lot for $38,991.00. If you bought that new you would have had a $30,000.00 loss in one year. These dealerships would not rip us off if we refused to buy and with gas prices the way they are it is crazy to think they are getting away with it.

2006 Cyclone M/T..K&N CAI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Yea the GT500 has been that way since it came out, Challenger on the other hand, is only like this because they know people arent patient enough to wait for the Camaro.... so they release the Challenger 1 year ahead and mark it up knowing people have no choice. Its getting tough out there

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
As long as people have more money then brains....

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 PM

There's a Challenger in Topeka that the dealership wants $25,000 markup. When I went in to look at it, there were deep pockets around talking about how that was a bargain. They need to do their research. In a couple of years the Challenger will be produced with a V6. I don't think they will have that kind of resale value in the future. To think, the Ole GTO will be in the middle of them. I had a laugh, the owner of the dealership took the Challenger to a Country Club shindig and he floored it, the throttle stuck open. He got it shut down, but it scared the sh...t out of him. $66,000? ADP Karma!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to BMC Performance Send a message via Yahoo to BMC Performance Send a message via Skype™ to BMC Performance
I totally agree! The two Challengers our dealer has in their showroom (are sold) but have a $24,000 mark-up. They're nice cars, but to have grossly crooked hood stripes and almost a 50% mark-up ... they're crazy. If consumers would not give in and pay the premium, the dealers wouldn't be able to get away with it. I was in the same boat when the Shelby GT-500 came out and refused to pay the $25,000 mark-up. Instead we built a new drivetrain for our mascot Mustang and are pushing over 850 hp now. That is a car I'll never get rid of and is worth investing in, but I can't see paying a premium for a new car that will be a dime a dozen before too long.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Great feedback everyone. Yes, I have to agree that the dealers prey on people who have no patience and just have to get one of the first ones out there. More dollars then sense!!

2006 Cyclone M/T..K&N CAI.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:09 PM

Jeez. The'll have a glut of them next year and selling at a discount. Patience is the operative word here.

John
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Dealer by me is doing the same. Guy I work with is buying a red SRT when it comes in. I told him that its crazy to pay any mark-up over MFSG and he said he won't-we'll see.
If gas doesn't kill the machine, in 3 years Challengers will be common on the roads as the mustangs now are, and, they will be on the lots. Deals will then be found.
Patients is a good thing
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
And after they takee the money, from those of us who have no self control, they ask for "dealer loyalty". .....come back when you need service or a new "family car".......yeah right. Almost as stupid as buying foreign oil.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 PM

I really don't think they are going after the average 'Joe' right now. What they are doing is screwing the hardcore fans with too much money. Like someone above posted, in a while there will be tons on the lots, but the dealers still got those willing to pay.

If I was selling something in demand, I would get as much as I could for as long as I could- once sales dropped to less than I would make if I sold more for less, I would drop the price.

supply/demand is all- they are testing the market for dummies, if it doesn't work, you will soon see many of the cars and at a much lower price.

I just found a vein and started my addiction with:

kooks headers, catless mids, LPE intake, 160 thermo, IAT relocate, 228/232, .614/.600 cam, and a shifter that doesn't lick sweaty donkey balls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in