the money pit - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the money pit

it seems i need to repair or replace something on this dang(mean it in the nicest way) GTO every six months...btw i'm the first and only owner. its got 59k mile...anywho, i love my GTO so i cant get myself to sell it so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
It's an age thing. When I pulled the motor out of my '70 last winter I was expecting couple hundred for paint and some touch up parts here and there. Then it was found this was broke, that needed replaced, this was original and will go at some point, since the motor was out it was wise to replace everything. The 200 or so turned into 1900. Most was all age of parts. Best thing you can do is expect things to start needing replaced and have a rainy day fund for it. Kind of like an GTO escrow account.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I sense that he's talking about a 'New Age' GTO rather than an old school but either type can be costly to own.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I wasn't sure if it was new or old. A newer GTO shouldn't be needing this kind of attention unless it was used hard, especially for a one owner. If its a new age GTO and its needing this that and the other thing... Triple the deposit funds to the GTO Escrow account.

** OK I looked ..... its an '05 ... guess I should have looked first before rendering an opinion -)

Mine has 40K. Just a battery and a few warranted parts (BCM, door actuator, rear springs, PCM, rear seat covers, rear end) mine was new as well and one owner. These cars have their share of issues. If you're lucky they fail under warranty, if not..... ouch. Many take pride of low miles... with the reported issues with these cars, its wise to drive them good and utilize the warranty if needed. Having a car with a few hundred miles that is way past warranty and then driving it good, the "normal" reported issues begin happening and repair is on your dime instead of GM. There are too many issues with this car as it is and at 59K miles with issues happening is inexcusable like most cars.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
According to his profile its an 06 and @ 59K, it has over twice the mileage of my 05 but 10K per year really isn't hard usage mileage wise. All I've had to replace on mine is the battery.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it's an 05 gto. i live in L.a. so there is really nowhere to drive it seriously hard. I love the stop light to stop light racing until i get burned by the cops or the person with deep pockets that i'm racing. onramps and passing on the freeway are especially fun. if i sell it now i"m bound to get raped so i'm keeping it for the long haul(or at least until the wife takes it in the divorce, haha)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in