So Cal Gas Prices Going Up! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So Cal Gas Prices Going Up!

I know most of you down here in So Cal have noticed a steady increase on gas prices. I just had to fill my tank up paying $4.65 for the 91 Octane. However, as I drive through town you can certainly find a big difference in gas prices depending on area and or different brands.

I usually fill up with either 76 or Chevron. I try to stay away from Mobil/Exxon, Shell and the cheaper Arco. I wanted to pose the question, what Brand do other So Cal Forum members fill up with?

I must admit, I have been tempted to fill up with Arco being that it almost is about $0.20 - $0.30 Cents cheaper than the others. I am just not sure I trust the cheaper gas, in my opinion there must be a reason as to why it is so much cheaper. Anyone agree? Disagree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:11 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Come Wednesday, I'll be able to buy regular gas $3.79 gallon.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgoat View Post
Come Wednesday, I'll be able to buy regular gas $3.79 gallon.
Kind of sad, isn't it?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
I fill up at Shell V-power. Nothing bad to say about them for me.. its been the cheapest (quality) gas around here. I NEVER fill up at arco. Filled up the Mercury there for $25.. I noticed I got maybe 70% of what I'm supposed to get. I talked to the guy inside, he checked it out and said thats just the way it is in arco. Maybe they're water/gas ratio is a bit off? Chevron is the most expensive around here in Hollywod.

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 10:16 AM

Here in North Los Angeles county I got to either Shell V or Mobil. Mostly because they are both close to my house. Right now at both 87 octane is $4.21 with 91 around $4.50. I am hearing $5.00 by July and this all could top out around $7.00. I wonder how high it will go before the USA goes into the worst recession in history. The people running for office do not really seem to care. Hey if I made 6-20 million a year like them I might not either. They are talking about suspending the 'gas tax' which in CA is 18 cents a gallon. It goes up that much every 5 days.

2006 Cyclone M/T..K&N CAI.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, .18 cents is not really going to do much right now. I am taking public transportation more often now. I live in the San Fernando Valley and work in Downtown LA so my commute mostly consists of a slow crawl for about 20 miles. To say the least this is not the most efficient way to get the best gas mileage. My computer says that I am getting anywhere between 15.2MPG - 16.2 MPG.

I've been looking to do some additional add ons to the car, I already have CAI, Exhaust, Throttle Body Spacer. Next I am looking for the Cortex Tuner. Hoping to see an increase to maybe 18MPG average.

As far as Arco goes, I have heard that their gas just doesn't last as long as the others. But I wasn't sure if it was just a myth or reality. I guess more time is needed on the train then huh?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

So here is another question.

What would be the implications of filling up with 89 or 87 Octane? Can I expect a huge difference in performance? Am I risking damaging the internals some how?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
I was just thinking that. Went to fill up yesterday, premium unldeaded was at $4.69, and $5 used to be a joke to us...

-LSS Shifter
-Resonator Delete
-Flowmaster 44 Series Mufflers

1 of 475

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btchplz View Post
So here is another question.

What would be the implications of filling up with 89 or 87 Octane? Can I expect a huge difference in performance? Am I risking damaging the internals some how?
I have heard using 87 octane does effect performance and cause engine knock. No damage if used every so often but over time it might but I have never used it before. If you think about it is does not make that much difference in savings. If it cost an extra .20 to put 91 octane in and you get 18 mpg and drive 12K miles a year it will cost you an extra $8.50 per month.

2006 Cyclone M/T..K&N CAI.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Yeah gas prices here in SD are jacked up too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in