Bringing a GTO into Canada... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bringing a GTO into Canada...

The 04 to 06 GTO is no longer on the inadmissible list on Transport Canada's website. I spoke to the RIV and there's no problem bringing the car into Canada.

Must have:
- Title
- Bill of Sale
- Proof of insurance

Process & Fees:
- You must contact your border crossing 72 hours prior to you arriving at the border with the car.
- You will have to pay the 5% GST at the border
- If the car has AC you will have to pay an additional $100.00 AC excise tax.

Once you're in Canada:
- You have to pay the $195.00 RIV fee and fax them the form you received at the border.
- You will have to produce a letter from GM stating the car has gotten all the recalls done.
- You will need to go to Canadian Tire for vehicle inspection. If the car doesn't pass, you have 45 days to fix whatever is needed to pass inspection.
- Once your car passes inspection, you can register it in your province. You will only have to pay the provincial portion of the tax on the vehicle and registration fees.

Tips:
- DRL (Daytime Running Lamps) are required in Canada. Before coming to Canada, drop by a GM dealer and get them to turn on the DRL in the BCM. It's very easy for them to do.
- There is no duty on this vehicle. So, only thing you pay is the GST & AC tax.
- Go to your local Canadian Tire and get a list of requirements first for the inspection. This way when you go for inspection, you won't get screwed by them making up stuff because as we all know Crappy Tire can't be trusted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Garage
Thats a lot of fees! Hopefully it doesn't get too expensive. I went up there once with my brother for a car show and at the border they picked us for inspection. They had us drive into the building and had us wait in a room while they proceeded to beat the body panels of his car with a rubber mallet. (drug check I imagine) Needless to say I've never went back and I surely won't take my car across the border. There no way I'd be ok with them whacking my car with a rubber mallet. Maybe it was just bad luck. Hopefully you don't have any problems. Hope you find the right car. I certainly have no regrets ever since I bought it off the showroom floor!

Last edited by mikes06goat; 10-02-2010 at 12:05 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

No, actually the total fees are $300.00. The GST you would have to pay whether or not you buy a car in the US or Canada. Even if I buy a car here, I have to pay tax on the sale price when I register it. Our taxes here are ridiculous! If the same car sells 10 times, each owner has to pay tax on it!

Yeah, that's typical when you come through the border. It was a drug check. they don't care about the inspection or condition of the car unless it's held together with duct tape and bungee cords!

GTO's are $5000 to $7500 less in the US than what I can get one here for, and the closest one in Canada is 16hrs away. NC is only 22 hours away and I can pick up an 05 for $8000.00! I can't wait to get it and be the only one here with a GTO!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:32 PM

Because the GTO was made in Australia and not North America, NAFTA does not apply, so add another 6% after the exchange has been converted to Canadian, plus provincial tax for ones that do not live in Alberta. Also the added cost to go and pick it up or have it shipped home.

I have thousands of dollars into my GTO, I had a plane fare to view it, and then thousands to ship it, I wish I could have bought it here. After the exchange rate, shipping and 6% extra tax since it was an import, I have $8K over what I paid for it, never mind my time, and stress it created.

I think you need to do a bit more research before purchasing across the border.

Last edited by canadianGTO; 10-21-2010 at 11:44 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:14 AM
roy

Broker delivery

I took the easy way, I called a broker, ASl;s auto delivery, he makes runs to Arizona, Florida & other "dry" states looking for old metal.
I told him, watch for an 06 GTO, & in a month, he called from Florida, at an estate sale, the guy had a GTO from almost every year, 64 up to 06!
He bought a 65, which by the way, is maybe one of the nicest i;ve ever seen & bought me the 06, with 5500miles on it.
He told me he had to put a front crash bar affixed to the front bumper, to legally bring it into Canada,but, i'm not to sure about that.
All in all, it cost me an extra $950.00 delivered to my door.
And, i got a new bumper for my 62 thrown in the bargain.
It;s sleeping for the winter now, but, i;ve said this before, the 06 could be one of the best put together, driveable cars i;ve ever owned.
My only complaint, the rear tires wear out very quickly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Canada, Mexico and Other Countries

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in