Fuel/addivtive Poll - Page 3 - Pontiac GTO Forum
View Poll Results: What Octane Rated Gasoline Do You Use?
Drivers Who Use Up to 89 Octane 2 1.98%
Drivers Who Use Higher than 91 Octane 96 95.05%
Drivers Who Use Any Octane 3 2.97%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
its recommended 91+ octane, and i always put 93 in mine. and for those who need to save the extra pennies if you mix mid and regular half and half you get 93 octane...just a note for those who need to save a little but still want performance

and if you have a supercharger, turbo etc, its "STRONGLY" recommended at least 91 octane

Last edited by O4PLAYA; 01-06-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Fuel system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWET View Post
I use ONLY 91 + octane in my 05 GTO. I will NEVER use any type of additive or Octane booster except for maybe once a year when I use LUCAS injecter cleaner, I will also use fuel stabilizer when in winter storage. I don't like using additives on a regular basis because it screws up your cars Computer system by having it try to correct itself for the octane changes and the change in Chemicals in the fuel. SAVE the 87 & 89 OCTANE for your LAWN MOWER and SNOW BLOWER
After reading the cosumer auto guide which I previouly posted on another thread, I guess your idea of using a fuel system cleaner is a good idea. According to the report, there has been problems with the fuel gauge going bad and that simple fuel treatment cleaner could correct this problem before it occurs. You'll have to check it out, good reading material for those who have not seen it.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 06:28 AM

I use 91 octane. I wonder how the car adjusts for the octane levels. Does it have knock sensors? If so how much will it retard or advance depending on fuel quality? Just enough to stop the detonation or a set/pre-determined amount?

Just curious

Russ

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
I use Super Unleaded (93 usually) in both the GTO and Corvette...usually Shell or BP but I have never had a problem with the "other" brands...I won't use Citgo even though it is manytimes the cheapest because the Hugo Ce'sar Chavez...hate America thing...I on occasion will put in an additive/cleaner from Lucas Oil...I have added in the Winter storage months Sta-Bil...

Bill
No CITBLOW here either, what a thug...

72 GMC Fleetside - Go fast Truck stalling to haul more than hay...
06 GOAT - Vengenance M6 Herd with goodies
07 Cadillac STS-VVT Northstar A6 - Hauling a lot of a$$ in comfort.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
+1 on the boycott of Citgo

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:21 PM

93 for me shell or bp!!
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 AM

REMEMBER. all octane ratings at the pump are + or - 2 to 3 percent. In most cases it is on the minus side . You can be paying for 91 octane and getting 89. I just started using a octane booster on my GTO at my last fill up a few days ago. I always fill up when at 1/4 tank. I started to add about 1/2 pint of Lucas Octane booster with a full tank. Several years ago gas stations in Connecticut were fined for selling gas that was lower then the advertised octane. Now they have a sign on every pump that states OCTANE RATINGS are Plus or Minus 2 or 3 percent

447 CI forged stroker [ 7.3 liter ] 6 Bolt main caps
Holley Modular Mid rise Intake Manifold.
F1 Procharger ,

Just way too much to list,

Last edited by LOWET; 02-05-2008 at 11:33 AM.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
formerly NJGoat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWET View Post
REMEMBER. all octane ratings at the pump are + or - 2 to 3 percent. In most cases it is on the minus side . You can be paying for 91 octane and getting 89. I just started using a octane booster on my GTO at my last fill up a few days ago. I always fill up when at 1/4 tank. I started to add about 1/2 pint of Lucas Octane booster with a full tank. Several years ago gas stations in Connecticut were fined for selling gas that was lower then the advertised octane. Now they have a sign on every pump that states OCTANE RATINGS are Plus or Minus 2 or 3 percent
I have been using the Lucas octane booster as well. If you looked at my garage pics you can see it on the shelf next to the gallon jugs of mystery oil. I usually dont let my tank go past half tank. I add a bottle of lucas every other top off. When I started using lucas I filled my tank completely full and used bottle of treatment. when it gets around 1/2 tank Ill fill it up and add mystery oil. The next time it goes to half tank maybe just below i add a bottle of Lucas. so on and so on. I dont think this is too much additives.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgoat View Post
I have been using the Lucas octane booster as well. If you looked at my garage pics you can see it on the shelf next to the gallon jugs of mystery oil. I usually dont let my tank go past half tank. I add a bottle of lucas every other top off. When I started using lucas I filled my tank completely full and used bottle of treatment. when it gets around 1/2 tank Ill fill it up and add mystery oil. The next time it goes to half tank maybe just below i add a bottle of Lucas. so on and so on. I dont think this is too much additives.
LUCAS does make good products. I even use their oil stabilizer at every oil change.

F1 Procharger ,

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEARL JAM View Post
93 for mine. But on occasion, when my wallet is realy low, i'll run mid grade 89.
The differance in price between a FULL tank of 89 octaned compared to a Tank of 91 Octane is about $2.00. I don't think the extra 2 bucks will break you, 89 Octane here is $3.12 PG average, 91 Octane is about $3.35 average.

10 Gallons of 89 is $31.20, 10 Gallons of 91 is $33.50.. spend the extra 2 bucks and get 91

F1 Procharger ,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > GTOforum Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in