New Member/ thinking of buying one - Pontiac GTO Forum
View Poll Results: Should I go with a cheaoer 2005 or a new 2006?
2005 38 30.40%
2006 87 69.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Member/ thinking of buying one

well, here's my story. In 2003, I purchased a 2004 Ford Escape as kinda a family car thing because I was married. I got deployed to Iraq and then news of the new 2004 GTO came out. I really wished I hadn't bought that escape after hearing that. Well, I was in germany from when I got back from Iraq, until this July. I could not order a GTO over there because it is an import to begin with in the US, so they won't order them to military sales in Germany. so I sat and watched the GTO get better through 2005 and 2006. Well, good new, I just got divorced and now have no one else spending all my money, and I just got 2 jobs to get as much money as I can. The ex got the Escape, and I figure thats ok cause it now gives me a reason to buy the car I've been agonizing over for the past 3 years. I would wait one more year, but they won't be made anymore till they redesign them(wich I don't want.), so I have to buy soon.

Now that I've told my story, here comes the questions and asking of advice. First off, I've been reading and following along in forums about the GTO's, and there seems to be little quorqs with each year. I heard of the 2004's rubbing their tires, the 2005 not having lighted steering wheel control lights along with no council door locks and seat motor issues, and the 2006 having strut leaks and diff whine. This has not detured me from wanting one, but out of the 2005-2006, which seems to have the least problems or or less needing to get something fixed?
I would want the manual tranny for sure, and probably an exterior of black or silver and an interior of red or black. This will be my car for many years and I want to make sure I get the best odds of getting one with no problems
Should I save around $4,000 and go with the 2005, or should I start fresh with a 2006 so I know HOW the miles have been put on the car?
Please feel free to give advice or comments as long as this doesn't turn into an arguement. This is to help me decide on a 2005 or a 2006.
Thanks.
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 10:01 PM

Any "New" car should be better, especially for a stick

I would think going "new" should better than used for either an 05 (if you can find one new) or an 06. This would seem to make more sense when you also factor in if it has stick shift. With an automatic it might be OK to go with the used vehicle and save the money.

With a stick I would worry about "blown shifts" especially in down shifting and over reving the engine. I know there's a rev limiter but I heard that in down shifting it might not work as well and you could over rev an engine. Also with a clutch you just don't know the wear and tear it might have been through.

That's why I think you should go new with stick shift. An automatic might be abused too but I would think there normally wouldn't be as much damage as compared to when a stick is abused.

Last, I think a new 06 is the best deal, and it's unfortunate that they still want so much for them. Also, I would go with 18 inch wheels. There's a lot about the 17 inch ones rubbing so that I would get the 18 inch wheels as a must have first.

Just my two cents and maybe I'm all wrong.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 04:37 AM

Yeah, I'd go with a 06. You might find some incentives and rebates. If you you go with an 05 make sure it has alot of warranty left on it. I've seen a few nice ones on CarMax. I feel getting used, you don't know what problems you're buying. Not saying used is bad and new is good. I bought mine on 09/02/2006 it has been in the shop since 09/11/2006 for a busted rear defroster, because it was causing interference in the radio, some loop thing was rubbing, the paint in the rear bumper is flaking off, and when they called me on the 23 to pick it up, first I thought someone was driving it hard, because, it was driven 4 miles plus the average fuel consumption dropped for 14.8 to 7.7. Back to the story, I picked it up, I drove it off the lot about 1/4 mile, and it stalled....died....I tried to start it up, it said "Lower Performance"....the tow truck and towed me from the rear, and guess what....yep....scrape....the whole front end. When I looked at it while the tech was flashing it on her computer I notice that they didn't even fix the rear bumper. I had scratches on one side and tar on the other. And to top it all off, the front bumper is busted and the hoop has a small chip in it. Oh, yeah, and the rent a car, they gave me on the way back home, the tire blows out.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 05:24 PM

If you have the means (aka money), get the new 2006 model. Either car is fine, but your book value on the '06 will maintain longer. Additionally, there could be some collector value with it being the last year model. BTW, I bought a 2005 in November 2006 based on discounts for the '05.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 06:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to 04stangkiller
Could help you out work at dealership and could get you one.. i have 2 04's in stock one in black with red interior on a manuel trans. if looking for sure on the 05/06 I can see what i can do.. I am located in Illinois, let me know where you are at..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 05:21 PM

06 is the way to go.

Having owned an 04 in the recent past and now owning an 06. There is no question that the extra 4 or 5 k your going to shell out to get an 06 is worth it hands down. Not that didn't love my 04, Cosmo Purple, 5.7. I did. She was very unique but from the start I wanted a 6.0. I am very happy with the trade. Way more horse power with new features that they should have worked in from the beginning. Features like the lock/unlock button in the car. The hood release button in the glove box, ram air hood, 18" tires, a true dual exhaust and so on. My new one was born in May of this year and the following month the last one to be made rolled off in June. Go 6.0 in an 06. You won't be disappointed.

Brut
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:21 PM

I would say buy an 06 brand new. Its a 400 horsepower car the person who drove it before ya didn't drive slow all the time. I bought a honda prelude before my gto thinking its a honda it will last forever. Good god was I wrong. I have a new rule if I can afford it I buy sports cars new. If I can't then its no sports cars.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 05:22 PM

Start fresh with the 06. Tire rubbing? Nope, leaks? Nope, over revving? Nope manual 6 yep, tire burning? Sometimes. Overall satisfaction, to far above excellent to explain in the forum.

Just a few extra's on the 06 is not that much. Most dealers here will bargain. Go for the last one and try to keep it between the lines.

This car needs nothing.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintmisbehavinn View Post
Start fresh with the 06. Tire rubbing? Nope, leaks? Nope, over revving? Nope manual 6 yep, tire burning? Sometimes. Overall satisfaction, to far above excellent to explain in the forum.

Just a few extra's on the 06 is not that much. Most dealers here will bargain. Go for the last one and try to keep it between the lines.

This car needs nothing.

I like this reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > GTOforum Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in