04 400hp with no mileage loss? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
04 400hp with no mileage loss?

What do ya 'spose it would take to get an 04 to 400rwhp without hurting the mileage any? Would a K&N, a MAF sensor and a tune get a guy close? I just feel so inferior pulling up next to my buddy's 05 I'd hate to have to get any more severe and starting hurting the mileage though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:39 AM

Those mods are only good for about 20rwhp so you're still about 80hp shy. Don't change the factory MAF, it's fine as is.

The only way to get 400rwhp in an '04 and retain gas milage is with a power adder like Magnacharger, procharger or STS turbo.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:53 AM

Bear in mind that the '05 doesn't have 400 rwhp, that is the hp at the crank. It realistically has 350-360 rwhp stock. To get your '04 to that level a CAI, mild cam, and a tune would probably do it; adding headers would definately put you over the top.

To get 400 RWHP would be more in the realm of new heads, cam, LT headers, and a tune; or, as stated, some sort of forced induction (supercharger or turbo).

None of this should serious affect gas mileage as long as you keep your foot out it most of the time.

2004 Pulse Red GTO M6 - New Era CAI, TB Bypass, CAGS, Custom Split Exhaust, SLP Sway Bar & Bushings, BMR Strut Brace, HID, Sans Spoiler, Sirius

2002 Quicksilver Z06 - A Few Upgrades

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Millican
Those mods are only good for about 20rwhp so you're still about 80hp shy. Don't change the factory MAF, it's fine as is.

The only way to get 400rwhp in an '04 and retain gas milage is with a power adder like Magnacharger, procharger or STS turbo.
I appreciate the help, but I'm a little confused. K&N advertises their intakes to be good for 18.xx hp all by themselves on the 04 specifically. Won't a tune add 15 on top of that? Does everyone agree changing the MAF is worthless?

The 04s are 350hp stock, right? Leaving (at most) 30hp to go after the above mods.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm learning about all of this as I go

And I really do appreciate the comments...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdan
Bear in mind that the '05 doesn't have 400 rwhp, that is the hp at the crank. It realistically has 350-360 rwhp stock. To get your '04 to that level a CAI, mild cam, and a tune would probably do it; adding headers would definately put you over the top.

To get 400 RWHP would be more in the realm of new heads, cam, LT headers, and a tune; or, as stated, some sort of forced induction (supercharger or turbo).

None of this should serious affect gas mileage as long as you keep your foot out it most of the time.
I see now the error in my thinking...rear wheel vs. crank.
At any rate, your advice is quite helpful. Any thoughts on cams to look at?
Thx!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:09 AM

Yeah, stock 04 gets around 300 rwhp and 05's typically run around 350rwhp... so you dont need to get to 400rwhp to match up to your friend.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novolvo
K&N advertises their intakes to be good for 18.xx hp all by themselves on the 04 specifically. Won't a tune add 15 on top of that?
You have to be careful with the power gains claimed by various bolt-on parts manufacturers. The numbers are very optimistic and are probably not what you would see in actual use. Alot of these bolt-ons acheive those great gains when they are placed on non-stock motors that really need more airflow that the stock system provides. If in doubt about a particular part, I would look carefully at the supporting info a manufacturer provides regarding how they got the numbers they claim.

Also, you can't just add the HP increase numbers of bolt-on parts to see what you would get (ex. CAI 15hp + Cat back 15hp + New Throttle body 15hp = 45 HP gain = 395 hp motor): the parts all help but their gains are not linear and independant of each other. In the above example your total gain might really be 20hp or so.

A tune would benefit a stock car at least by leaning out the AF mixture some; its debatable whether it is worth the cost for stock. However, a tune becomes more beneficial as you add things to the car (CAI, headers, cam) because then you can make more significant adjustments to the program to take advantage of the flow of the new parts.

I hope this helps.

2004 Pulse Red GTO M6 - New Era CAI, TB Bypass, CAGS, Custom Split Exhaust, SLP Sway Bar & Bushings, BMR Strut Brace, HID, Sans Spoiler, Sirius

2002 Quicksilver Z06 - A Few Upgrades

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:52 PM

My goat is now a pig for fuel, after the cam package.

I swear, I can see the gas gage move.

Computer shows consumption down to 2.0 - 2.5 mph on hard accel
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:30 PM

On my 02 Z28 with a Corsa Cat-back (Mfg. claims 15hp) an LS1 Motorsports intake (Mfg claims 10-15 hp) and a good tune, I gained 20 hp at peak. The difference is the powerband at low and high rpms. Looking at 3000 rpms I had 32 more hp than stock, and looking at 5600 rpms I had 28 more hp. My fuel economy did not change at all with the mods.

Don't mess with the MAF sensor. The stock one works great.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:21 PM

Assuming you don't gun it at every stop light, more air flowing into the intake and out the exhaust can actually boost MPG, right? Or is that another K&N urban legend? It makes sense...a better air/fuel mixture should make you more efficient, right? If i'm wrong, someone set me straight, please...

Last edited by Camshaft; 08-03-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in