'04/A4 with 42xxx miles, what do i service? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'04/A4 with 42xxx miles, what do i service?

i wanted to change the fuel filter, but i read here somewhere that our car's filter is part of the fuel pump. that's one less thing to worry about. as for the motor oil, i guess i've been messing up because i've been using castrol gtx motor oil/fram extra guard for the filter(not a good combo from what i've been reading hear)every 3xxx miles. so, my questions are...
1...i keep reading here that mobil 1 motor oil/filters are the way to go...is that mobil 1 synthetic that i keep reading about on these posts ?

2...should i be changing any other oils(tranny/diff, etc.). if so, what brands and oil weights should i be using ?

thanks in advance guys for the always useful info !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7moon12 View Post
i wanted to change the fuel filter, but i read here somewhere that our car's filter is part of the fuel pump. that's one less thing to worry about. as for the motor oil, i guess i've been messing up because i've been using castrol gtx motor oil/fram extra guard for the filter(not a good combo from what i've been reading hear)every 3xxx miles. so, my questions are...
1...i keep reading here that mobil 1 motor oil/filters are the way to go...is that mobil 1 synthetic that i keep reading about on these posts ?

2...should i be changing any other oils(tranny/diff, etc.). if so, what brands and oil weights should i be using ?

thanks in advance guys for the always useful info !!!
You haven't messed up. Mobil 1 is recommended by GM this doesn't mean you have to use it. Mobil 1 happened to give GM the right $ for advertising. Had another oil company won the rights they would be GM's recommended oil source.

Synthetics were developed for high performance engines and designed to give you longer life through oil changes, although standard oils have come a long way in technology. As long as you use SAE oils you'll be fine. The oil life indicator on the GTO measures engine revolutions which generally notifies you around 7200 miles for its change. This is just a guide, how you drive will dictate your oil change out intervals.

GM recommends 5w-30. It's on your oil cap. You can get away with 10w-30. As far as filters, go with a top brand, Mobil 1, K&N are two at the top, there are others, people have preferences.

There are other good quality synthetics out there. Again, people have their favorites. You spent good money on your car, oil is the cars life blood feed it with good stuff.

Personally, I change my oil every 5K and rotate the tires at the same time.

As far as transmission, differential changing.... follow the recommended servicing schedules and use good quality synthetics as outlined in the manual.

Here is a link you may find interesting......

Motor Oil Myths and Facts

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 01-23-2008 at 10:06 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should be using synthetic. Mobil 1 is good, there are better, but the real question is are they worth the extra money over Mobil 1. If you are/were racing the car I'd say no oil is too good. For normal driving, the regular dino oil is plenty good. You don't have to use synthetic at this point because your warranty is expired. I would say that since you have kept the oil changed very frequently that you haven't done any harm by running regular Castrol oil. I wouldn't worry too much about the oil. Switching back to Mobil 1 isn't a bad idea but if you aren't racing I wouldn't sweat it.

As for the filters, there really isn't a bad filter, just like if you keep fresh oil in it there isn't a bad oil. The Fram's performance is lower quality compared to a Mobil one, an AC/Delco or a K&N filter. Have you done any damage by using a Fram and changing it at 3,000 miles, my guess is definately not.

If you want to use extended oil life and filter life you need the best. The LS1 with an oil life monitor using synthetic and normal driving is probably going to need to be changed about every 9,000 miles. In that case, or in the case of racing the car, you absolutely need a top notch filter and a top quality synthetic oil.

I'm a maintenance freak. I change things way too early because I never want to have a failure due to lack of maintenance.

I change my brake fluid every 4 years, that might be something you want to do now. Your calipers will last forever.

I think the 04 has an external Fuel filter, you might ask an 04 owner, if it does change it. You should change it every 30,000 miles to keep the fuel pump happy.

I would also look at changing power steering fluid, gear lube in the differential, and the A4 fluid. I would change all of those fluids every 3 years no matter what or 48,000 miles. Time matters more than mileage. The owners manual will tell you the weights of the fluids. Just make sure that the fluid meets the API reccomendation for the car and you will have the right brand. Again if you are racing look for the best, an Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline or such is the only thing to use in extreme situations.

Every 5 years in the south, and 7 years in the north replace your serpentine belt. Also every 5 years replace your coolant. I replace my headlights and taillights every 5 years too, but I definately drive more than you. The battery is another thing that time matters on. I replace the original battery at 4 years old, which is right where your battery is now. Buy an Optima and you'll be good for 5-6 years.

I've gotten 300,000 miles out of two Cavalier company cars, and neither one broke down or left me stranded. With 5,000 mile oil changes they were't using more than a quart of oil between changes either. I would much rather pay for a little maintenance than end up in a parking lot looking for a jump start or on the side of the road calling a tow truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in