'04 GTO Rack and Pinion Leak=Fire Hazard - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'04 GTO Rack and Pinion Leak=Fire Hazard

Just got my '04 GTO (3000 miles) out of the shop where it was most of last week while waiting on a new rack and pinion assembly to be "overnighted" from Australia. (...funny how they use the term "overnight" from Australia...today here is already tomorrow over there...). They installed the new assembly at the dealership and it seems to be OK now. I never would have known that I had a power steering fluid leak (where the high and low pressure lines come into the rack and pinion assembly) unless the guys at Jiffy Lube (first oil change) had told me. It was a slow leak and I had seen absolutely no fluid on my driveway or on my garage floor. I had, however, noticed a funny smell from beneath the car recently. When I took it to the dealership they told me that power steering fluid was leaking from the R&P assembly and onto the catalytic converter, that it was a fire hazard, and that I should not drive it at all until it was repaired. Another first year bug???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 07:17 PM

Just as an FYI... no replacement GTO parts come from Australia. I mean, at the beginning some of them come from there, but replacement stock is stocked at GM warehouses throughout the US.

Gene
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2dude
Just as an FYI... no replacement GTO parts come from Australia. I mean, at the beginning some of them come from there, but replacement stock is stocked at GM warehouses throughout the US.

Gene
If the replacement parts don't come from Australia, then where does GM get them? What you're saying isn't true, as a matter of fact I just SPAC'd a knuckle and strut for an 04 and they said it was coming from Australia!! I don't know if you're a GM dealer, but, if a dealer tells their customer that their part is coming from Australia (on a car that is manufactured there) then there is a really good chance that it is! FYI... GM still doesn't have all the replacement parts in their warehouses! (so I guess we're still in the beginning?)
Steve

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 05:26 PM

JUST TO ADD MY 2 CENTS I AM IN THE PARTS ROOM RIGHT NOW
GM HAS 4 RACKS AT PHILADEPHIA PA WAREHOUSE. #663
SOME TIMES DEALER'S WILL MAKE IT SOUND LIKE THERE REALLY DOING
SOMETHING BIG. THE RACK IS IN THIS IN PA SO THERE BLOW'N SMOKE

Last edited by TRC GTO; 03-07-2005 at 05:37 PM. Reason: SPELLING
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
If the replacement parts don't come from Australia, then where does GM get them? What you're saying isn't true, as a matter of fact I just SPAC'd a knuckle and strut for an 04 and they said it was coming from Australia!! I don't know if you're a GM dealer, but, if a dealer tells their customer that their part is coming from Australia (on a car that is manufactured there) then there is a really good chance that it is! FYI... GM still doesn't have all the replacement parts in their warehouses! (so I guess we're still in the beginning?)
Steve
I HOPE IT WAS NOT FOR THE LEFT SIDE BECAUSE THERE 37 STRUTS
IN STOCK IN PA ALSO. MABYE YOUR PARTS MGR IS MAD AT YOU
MOST GTO PARTS ARE IN GM PHILL 663 WARE HOUSE YES SOME DO HAVE
TO COME OVER BUT VERY FEW......;.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:15 AM

Sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder...... I must admit I was incorrect for looking to see that the part was in the warehouse, but, the question is does YOUR dealer always blow smoke up customers asses 'cause my dealer tells people the truth about were parts come, I'm not used to dealers lying to customers about their parts, and what the hell kind of comeback is that when you have to resort to bringing in my parts manager!!! Maybe, in your dealership, your parts manager is mad at you or maybe you hate your job but around here we're like family....

Last edited by GTODEALER; 03-08-2005 at 09:26 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Tom

If the motor on my australian built GTO blows, and the dealer replaces it under warranty, where does it come from?

If a tire blows on my australian built GTO, and the dealer replaces it under warranty, where does it come from?

Certainly not the stork I hope.

I wonder how many parts on our austrailian built pontiacs are interchangeable/have the same part number as parts from "american" cars?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 AM

I Must Admit Yes I Do Work For A Very Crooked Dealer .yes They Lie To
Customer All The Time . Service Adv. Are The Worst Where I Work .
But Only Have 3 More Day Of It And Will Be At Small Dealer That Sound S
Like The Place You Work 15min From Home No Crooks Can,t Beet It.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTODEALER
Sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder...... I must admit I was incorrect for looking to see that the part was in the warehouse, but, the question is does YOUR dealer always blow smoke up customers asses 'cause my dealer tells people the truth about were parts come, I'm not used to dealers lying to customers about their parts, and what the hell kind of comeback is that when you have to resort to bringing in my parts manager!!! Maybe, in your dealership, your parts manager is mad at you or maybe you hate your job but around here we're like family....
I POSTED THAT I ORDER MY CAR FROM A DEALER OUTHER THAN WERE I
WORK AT FOR A REASON YOUR IN TX NOT ILL WE GET SOME SHADEY
PEOPLE AROUND HERE THAT WHY I AM LEAVING THE BIG CITY.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 12:58 PM

Man, that is really depressing! I am glad you found a better dealership to go to. I must admit that we are not a huge dealer in size but we have a HUGE heart for the GTO's out there and we are trying to be there for all of our customers, we also strive to be the #1 supporting aftermarket dealer for the new GTO's. I sincerely hope that you enjoy your new place and look forward to talking with you later!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in