05' GTO - Lemon? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05' GTO - Lemon?

Bought my 05' M6 less than half a year ago. Since then the following has happened...

Radiator failure - Cracked end cap
Coolant reservoir failure - Bad cap
A/C failure - 3 shop visits for them to finally fix it!
Driver door lock failure - Lock cylinder
Power steering pump failure - Noticed sound upon purchase. They said it was normal...

And now...

Transmission issue. Likely clutch related. A very noticeable knocking sound is present with the clutch down. Gears will occasionally grind slightly. Reverse became nearly impossible to engage. I brought this issue to their attention after two months and 5k miles as 2nd gear and reverse have always been an issue.

The car has been towed twice as of now. In the shop awaiting diagnose of transmission issue. I've only put 10k miles since purchasing. If it's the clutch they're going to not cover it as extended warranty considers normal wear and tear. I got rid of my Mercedes for this GTO expecting reliability and as of present it gives me just as much if not more of a headache with all the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Buying a used muscle car and not knowing how it was treated would not make me surprised if it had some issues. The radiator is somewhat common and the AC sounds like a shop didn't know what they were doing. Generally they are reliable. Get 400 HP and a kid together and hard use usually follows.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

I've taken good care of this 05' since buying it. I would say it must have been beat on by previous owner for all these failures to happen. Dealership says it's slave cylinder and not covered by extended warranty... Also Lemon Law doesn't cover used vehicles past 15 days 500 miles so I'm screwed there.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:48 PM

1/2 the issues your complaining about you knew of when you bought the car(power steering and clutch).

It doesn't mean it was beat to hell, it just means its a used car. You can't buy a used car and not expect it to never need repairs.

How many miles do you have? Any mods?

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Bought at 45,000 miles and it's now at 55,000 miles. Haven't added any mods. Vehicle came with custom magnaflow exhaust, and k&n isolated intake system. So I've discussed with this dealership and they will allow me to purchase parts myself for install. I'm planning on having the clutch replaced as well since it's only half hour more labor and want to upgrade to a streetable performance clutch. What should I go with? I found this slave cylinder or is there better options?

2005-2006 Pontiac GTO Clutch Slave Cylinder - Centric, OE replacement, Aluminum, Natural - JCWhitney

Is there any other components I should have replaced/upgraded while they have everything torn down?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Former Moderator

Garage
lol. They show two pictures. One is the master and one is the slave. Advance Auto has the same slave for $65. If you don't drag race take a look at CenterForce and Monster stage 2. Another good option is the LS7 clutch with matching flywheel.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Former Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4awd View Post
That is the one.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

What benefits will be gained from a billet flywheel or is the stock unit comparable? I would assume the flywheel doesn't need to be replaced, or does the Monster flywheel offer improvements to stock?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Also, as far as the master cylinder... I've researched that it doesn't flow enough causing clutch wear, and other issues. I've noticed driving the GTO hard in races the clutch pedal tightens to the point of minimal adjustment. It will engage at an inch or so of travel whereas the normal travel is at end of release. Also, at high RPM shifts sometimes the gear doesn't want to engage! Is this what an upgraded master will resolve?

FYI, this is my first manual transmission vehicle so I'm still in the learning process. Kind of feel like should have went for the automatic, but I do enjoy having complete control over the transmission, LOL.. Something to get used to in heavy traffic and the like however...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in