05 GTO - Oil Change 500 Miles - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Newburgh, NY
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05 GTO - Oil Change 500 Miles

My new GTO has 500 miles on it and I want to change the oil and filter. Did the LS2 GTO comewith Mobil 1 from the factory? Should I use Mobil 1 when I change the oil? Should I stick with an AC Delco filter in case there are any warranty issues down the road?

Thank you!
shadow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:05 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
My new GTO has 500 miles on it and I want to change the oil and filter. Did the LS2 GTO comewith Mobil 1 from the factory? Should I use Mobil 1 when I change the oil? Should I stick with an AC Delco filter in case there are any warranty issues down the road?

Thank you!

Yes, 5w-30, Mobil One.

Why would you want to waste your money? I have had 7 Corvettes, 3 Z06's, and initally, changed the oil on the first three at 1,000 miles. The last 4, at 2,500 and it was STILL as clear as honey.

You will not have any warranyt issues by using other than an OEM filter.

However, the Delco filter UPF44 gold is the better one to use..........
vnamvet is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:16 PM
 
The_Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changed mine at 500, 3000 and 7000. 5w 30 Mobile One fully synthetic.

On the first change I could tell there was some assembly lube in the oil. The 3k and 7k were pretty clear however.
The_Goat is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 02:47 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mobil 1 5w30 is factory fill, but it is not required, nor is it necessarily the best choice, though Mobil 1 is widely available and convenient.
Comparative Oil Test

These AMSOIL synthetic lubricants meet the GM standards for the LS2:
AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30
and the AMSOI SDF32 filter is the appropriate filter for the LS2 (AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter).
Subdriver is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 07:53 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goat
Changed mine at 500, 3000 and 7000. 5w 30 Mobile One fully synthetic.

On the first change I could tell there was some assembly lube in the oil. The 3k and 7k were pretty clear however.
Man, I have about 4500 miles on my current change and it is as black as diesel oil. I planned on 5K between changes but this stuff is really ugly. My car must be running alot richer than yours.
JMVorbeck is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 10:28 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
Man, I have about 4500 miles on my current change and it is as black as diesel oil. I planned on 5K between changes but this stuff is really ugly. My car must be running alot richer than yours.
That could also be do to other causes though. If you run your car in areas with high levels of airborne dust/dirt and your air filter isn't good, you will be sucking dirt into the intake where it will mix with the oil on the sidewalls of the pistons. I see this a lot on used oil analysis reports where the air filter is old.
Additionally, if you were previously running a low grade oil and switched to a better oil, say a synthetic with high levels of detergents, the oil may be cleaning previous deposits out of your engine. I have seen this when people switch to AMSOIL on older engines. This is one reason why when switching to a high quality synthetic with older engines, it is advisable to use the Engine Flush to quickly remove the majority of these deposits.
Subdriver is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 11:14 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdriver
That could also be do to other causes though. If you run your car in areas with high levels of airborne dust/dirt and your air filter isn't good, you will be sucking dirt into the intake where it will mix with the oil on the sidewalls of the pistons. I see this a lot on used oil analysis reports where the air filter is old.
Additionally, if you were previously running a low grade oil and switched to a better oil, say a synthetic with high levels of detergents, the oil may be cleaning previous deposits out of your engine. I have seen this when people switch to AMSOIL on older engines. This is one reason why when switching to a high quality synthetic with older engines, it is advisable to use the Engine Flush to quickly remove the majority of these deposits.
The goat only has 9K miles on it. Synthetic from the factory, Synthetic for the last 2 changes. I think its gotta be carbon from the mixture.
JMVorbeck is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 04:28 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
The goat only has 9K miles on it. Synthetic from the factory, Synthetic for the last 2 changes. I think its gotta be carbon from the mixture.
With that few miles and synthetic from day one, you're probably right.
Subdriver is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 05:44 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought my used 04 GTO Friday, with 3214 miles on it. Today at 3500, miles I decided to check the oil. It was black, so it had never been changed. I changed it, and sure enough all the bolts were tight, and it looked like they had never had a wrench on them. Whats with that darn pan guard anyway? I would have liked to have changed the oil at 2,000 miles, but I guess when you buy used you take some risk. The guy probably traded it in at the BMW dealer because he couldn't find the oil drain plug.
C5ORGTO is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:37 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My '05 had 23 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. See my thread about LS-2 engine break in.

I changed oil at 624 after the break-in cycle I noted.

Immediately improved mileage, engine breathing and sound.

I've had guys tell me it's a waste to change oil more frequently than specs. I completely disagree.

It's a fact that the newer, cleaner and fresher the oil is, the better for the engine. That is indisputable.

While changing the oil every one hundred miles might be extreme -- unless you were doing extreme driving -- the factory recs are a balance of consumer economy, consumer laziness, and engine life... and are made with a conservative eco-mileage-based driving style figured in some lab.... not in real-life driving.

So... my rec is, if you're gonna smack your Goat in the a$$, you better change that oil more often than factory.

Clean oil, clean air, good cooling, good gas... the four bedrock fundamentals upon which ANY engine's performance is built, regardless of what else is done to her.
danrieke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome