05 GTO - Oil Change 500 Miles - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05 GTO - Oil Change 500 Miles

My new GTO has 500 miles on it and I want to change the oil and filter. Did the LS2 GTO comewith Mobil 1 from the factory? Should I use Mobil 1 when I change the oil? Should I stick with an AC Delco filter in case there are any warranty issues down the road?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
My new GTO has 500 miles on it and I want to change the oil and filter. Did the LS2 GTO comewith Mobil 1 from the factory? Should I use Mobil 1 when I change the oil? Should I stick with an AC Delco filter in case there are any warranty issues down the road?

Thank you!

Yes, 5w-30, Mobil One.

Why would you want to waste your money? I have had 7 Corvettes, 3 Z06's, and initally, changed the oil on the first three at 1,000 miles. The last 4, at 2,500 and it was STILL as clear as honey.

You will not have any warranyt issues by using other than an OEM filter.

However, the Delco filter UPF44 gold is the better one to use..........
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:16 PM

Changed mine at 500, 3000 and 7000. 5w 30 Mobile One fully synthetic.

On the first change I could tell there was some assembly lube in the oil. The 3k and 7k were pretty clear however.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 02:47 PM

Mobil 1 5w30 is factory fill, but it is not required, nor is it necessarily the best choice, though Mobil 1 is widely available and convenient.
Comparative Oil Test

These AMSOIL synthetic lubricants meet the GM standards for the LS2:
AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30
and the AMSOI SDF32 filter is the appropriate filter for the LS2 (AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goat
Changed mine at 500, 3000 and 7000. 5w 30 Mobile One fully synthetic.

On the first change I could tell there was some assembly lube in the oil. The 3k and 7k were pretty clear however.
Man, I have about 4500 miles on my current change and it is as black as diesel oil. I planned on 5K between changes but this stuff is really ugly. My car must be running alot richer than yours.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
Man, I have about 4500 miles on my current change and it is as black as diesel oil. I planned on 5K between changes but this stuff is really ugly. My car must be running alot richer than yours.
That could also be do to other causes though. If you run your car in areas with high levels of airborne dust/dirt and your air filter isn't good, you will be sucking dirt into the intake where it will mix with the oil on the sidewalls of the pistons. I see this a lot on used oil analysis reports where the air filter is old.
Additionally, if you were previously running a low grade oil and switched to a better oil, say a synthetic with high levels of detergents, the oil may be cleaning previous deposits out of your engine. I have seen this when people switch to AMSOIL on older engines. This is one reason why when switching to a high quality synthetic with older engines, it is advisable to use the Engine Flush to quickly remove the majority of these deposits.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdriver
That could also be do to other causes though. If you run your car in areas with high levels of airborne dust/dirt and your air filter isn't good, you will be sucking dirt into the intake where it will mix with the oil on the sidewalls of the pistons. I see this a lot on used oil analysis reports where the air filter is old.
Additionally, if you were previously running a low grade oil and switched to a better oil, say a synthetic with high levels of detergents, the oil may be cleaning previous deposits out of your engine. I have seen this when people switch to AMSOIL on older engines. This is one reason why when switching to a high quality synthetic with older engines, it is advisable to use the Engine Flush to quickly remove the majority of these deposits.
The goat only has 9K miles on it. Synthetic from the factory, Synthetic for the last 2 changes. I think its gotta be carbon from the mixture.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
The goat only has 9K miles on it. Synthetic from the factory, Synthetic for the last 2 changes. I think its gotta be carbon from the mixture.
With that few miles and synthetic from day one, you're probably right.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 05:44 PM

I bought my used 04 GTO Friday, with 3214 miles on it. Today at 3500, miles I decided to check the oil. It was black, so it had never been changed. I changed it, and sure enough all the bolts were tight, and it looked like they had never had a wrench on them. Whats with that darn pan guard anyway? I would have liked to have changed the oil at 2,000 miles, but I guess when you buy used you take some risk. The guy probably traded it in at the BMW dealer because he couldn't find the oil drain plug.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:37 AM

My '05 had 23 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. See my thread about LS-2 engine break in.

I changed oil at 624 after the break-in cycle I noted.

Immediately improved mileage, engine breathing and sound.

I've had guys tell me it's a waste to change oil more frequently than specs. I completely disagree.

It's a fact that the newer, cleaner and fresher the oil is, the better for the engine. That is indisputable.

While changing the oil every one hundred miles might be extreme -- unless you were doing extreme driving -- the factory recs are a balance of consumer economy, consumer laziness, and engine life... and are made with a conservative eco-mileage-based driving style figured in some lab.... not in real-life driving.

So... my rec is, if you're gonna smack your Goat in the a$$, you better change that oil more often than factory.

Clean oil, clean air, good cooling, good gas... the four bedrock fundamentals upon which ANY engine's performance is built, regardless of what else is done to her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in