'05 GTO vs '02 Kenne Bell Mustang GT - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'05 GTO vs '02 Kenne Bell Mustang GT

Hope this thread doesn't make you roll your eyes. Just lookin' for info for some mods that I'll probably do in a year or so.

Got a friend with a big mouth and a Kenne Bell 4.6 GT It's a 2002 Automatic Mustang GT:
4.10 gears
Off-road X-Pipe
Borla Stinger Cat-Back
42lb Injectors
75mm TB
90mm MAF
Kenne Bell 9 lb intercooled kit
10 lb pulley...making 11 lbs boost

Any way of hanging with him, with some mods?
I'd like to stay away from forced induction and the nitrous approach. He's claiming around 440 whp. Can I get there or better by sticking with the naturally aspirated approach?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 01:41 PM

As the current owner of an 05 GTO and a heavily modded 02 Mustang GT (11.01 @ 120 mph), I have experience with both cars. When my GT was stock it could run 13.8 @ 100 mph (5 speed). With his mods and considering the auto trans, he is probably capable of low to mid 12's, depending on driver ability. Unless he has more mods that he is hiding, there is no way he is making 440 rwhp @ 10 lbs of boost with the KB supercharger. More like 375-395. My best so far in the GTO is 13.3, so assumming you can do the same, there is no way you can hang with him without some serious mods.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 01:43 PM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hmmm, he has a 9lb kit, with a 10lb pulley, but making 11 lbs boost? Odd.

Anyway, with a set of heads, cam and gears, on a drag radial, SURE you can beat him. But are you willing to drop 10k in mods just to beat this cat?

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkRed05GTO
As the current owner of an 05 GTO and a heavily modded 02 Mustang GT (11.01 @ 120 mph), I have experience with both cars. When my GT was stock it could run 13.8 @ 100 mph (5 speed). With his mods and considering the auto trans, he is probably capable of low to mid 12's, depending on driver ability. Unless he has more mods that he is hiding, there is no way he is making 440 rwhp @ 10 lbs of boost with the KB supercharger. More like 375-395. My best so far in the GTO is 13.3, so assumming you can do the same, there is no way you can hang with him without some serious mods.
I'm just taking him at his word about his mods and his HP claims. He says that KB owners commonly see 400whp dyno runs after they've installed just the 9 lb IC kit, w/ all of the KB inlet components. Maybe I'll just keep the mods to the basic bolt-ons like Cat-Back, CAI, hand-held tuner, etc...
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 04:52 PM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Good decision. there will always be somebody faster and no point in taking out 9 second trusts on your house just to beat a few here and there.

Have fun !!! (preferably without going broke)
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mike
Hmmm, he has a 9lb kit, with a 10lb pulley, but making 11 lbs boost? Odd.

Anyway, with a set of heads, cam and gears, on a drag radial, SURE you can beat him. But are you willing to drop 10k in mods just to beat this cat?
No, 10k will probably be way too rich for my blood. Sounds like it'd be cheaper to go supercharged, but I've seen a few posters that didn't recommend forced-induction for these motors. I'll just keep it simple and not worry about his Mustang. I'm sure I'll still have top-speed bragging rights with his 4.10 gearing.

As for his boost and pulleys, all I know is that I was in his car when his AutoMeter gauge indicated a solid 11 lbs boost. Felt strong, just don't see how he stands the off-road/Stinger combo as a daily driver.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
LSx engines run too high of a CR to do forced induction, Sean with MDMC can get 550 hp with these mods; CNC ported cylinder heads, Custom cam and push rods, 1 7/8 ceramic coated long tube headers, 2.5 inch high flow exhaust, Custom computer tuning and Custom 4 inch air intake system. You can bump that up to 650 with a Custom D1 Procharger and a 3 Core custom intercooler.

Seems like he told me around $6k for the 550 package, don't quote me on that.

http://www.moderndaymusclecars.com/gto.html

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 11-13-2005 at 06:51 PM.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO
LSx engines run too high of a CR to do forced induction, Sean with MDMC can get 550 hp with these mods; CNC ported cylinder heads, Custom cam and push rods, 1 7/8 ceramic coated long tube headers, 2.5 inch high flow exhaust, Custom computer tuning and Custom 4 inch air intake system. You can bump that up to 650 with a Custom D1 Procharger and a 3 Core custom intercooler.

Seems like he told me around $6k for the 550 package, don't quote me on that.

http://www.moderndaymusclecars.com/gto.html

Thanks for the link.

The 475hp package looks about like the right options for me.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
GTOdealer, PFYC, PFYV and Tbyrne are supporting sponsors of this forum, all can supply you with the needed parts.

If you are near Atlanta here is a map of MDMC's location;

Modern Day Muscle Car

Randy

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 08:49 PM

is that 475 rwhp or at the crank on those packages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in