05 hood rubber inserts - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05 hood rubber inserts

so the rubber inserts when u pop the hood that go in the hood scoop well can be popped out, is there any downside to doing this, i know i wont really see any performance gains but maybe it will keep the engine a little cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:39 PM

Keeping the engine cooler will produce performance gains. I removed my fuel rail covers and hood plugs at the drag strip and did some playing around. The car cools a lot quicker between runs without the plugs and fuel rail covers. In the summer I also noticed a difference of 1-2 tenths due the engine not heating up as much in the staging lanes and during staging.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

is that what there called, hood plugs, i didnt think itd be enuff cool air to produce any real gains, im talking about the rubber pieces inside of the hood scoops that u can pull out? is that what u were reffering to?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to raven1124
That is what ferg was referring about. I took mine out and only put them in when it's raining and when I was it. As far as performance, maybe a little. The more air you have running through your scoops the better to keep your motor cooler.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1124
That is what ferg was referring about. I took mine out and only put them in when it's raining and when I was it. As far as performance, maybe a little. The more air you have running through your scoops the better to keep your motor cooler.
I took mine out and the motor does seem to cool down a bit better. I've left them out in a few of our FL rain storms and nothing's happend. However i've noticed more dust building up in the enginge area with them out. I'm having to wipe it down twice a week now.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 10:10 PM

Same thing happened here as far as dust, dirt and bugs on the engine. I never put mine back once I took them out. The fuel rail covers protected the coil packs though so the only time I took those off was when I was at the track.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 10:16 PM

I've haven't noticed any dust(now you are making me paranoid) but I forgot to put them in one time when it was raining and the motor was pretty wet.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:36 PM

maybe put some mesh or some little crappy filters in place of those rubber baffles? Might cut down on that dust buildup and keep water out.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 12:24 AM

I was thinking around those same lines. Maybe over lap the existing screen with some type of mesh screen. Definitely would help out with bugs but I doubt it would help with the water issue.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:47 AM

When I'm at speed--say, 80 or so on a freeway--I've noticed that the hood shimmies a bit. Just keep an eye on the panel gap between the driver's side front fender and the hood and see if you don't notice it, too.

I have a notion that whatever air is getting through the hood scoops (I've left the rubber inserts in place) is causing a bit of lift under the hood, making it vibrate a bit. I'd be curious to know if '04s do the same thing, or if their hoods sit still.

Anyway, I'd imagine that taking the inserts out would only increase this phenomenon in steady-state cruising at speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in