05 scoop baffle needed? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
05 scoop baffle needed?

I'm in process of changing out my 04 hood with the 05 factory hood. The scoop "kit" includes a baffle that snaps behind the grille. Is this baffle necessary? Does it control air flow in some way or does it reduce noise? I guess I'd like to know if it has a good purpose before I install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 10:47 AM

It allows air to flow into the engine department (although restricted) but does not allow water, bugs, birds, squirrels, etc to enter. So if your
GTO is your everyday driver, I would definately install the baffles.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 11:43 AM

I have had mine out since the day I picked the car up. I get bugs on my strut tower brace, and sometimes a LITTLE water gets in there, but not bad at all. If you don't want bugs on the brace, put em in, if you dont care and want the little extra cooling, leave em out.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 04:06 PM

i left mine in because think of it this way pro vs con. con= if you take them out things that can happen not saying they will but ya never know. water would be the biggest thing id worry about because it will get all over your motor and also it will soak into your underhood cover and just sit there also will eventually leak onto your motor again not saying it will happen just things to think about now the pro=you might see a 1 degree drop from a lil unrestricted air getting in that about all its good for hope that helps some

ps its only my .2

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:38 PM

My car is a daily driver and I took mine out. I'm not totally sure about all of the pro's & con's but I don't have a problem with bugs or water getting on my engine. I did open my hood after driving in a pretty good rain storm and I only had a little water on my K&N CAI tube that is directly behind the driver side scoop (I keep my baffles w/ my spare tire just in-case I ever need to install them for any reason). I also know that when you park your car there is definetly heat coming out of those scoops which should allow your engine to cool quicker and these cars get extremely hot under those 04 hoods. Again, only my 2 cents.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 09:22 PM

I took mine out in the summer as well as the fuel rail covers when there was no chance for rain. Temps in AR were near 100 every day and it seemed to help the car (ran about 5* cooler). If it looked like rain I would put the baffles back in. It takes 30 seconds to pop the hood and insert/extract them. Now that the temps are back below 90, I have the fuel rail covers and baffles in permanently until next summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in