06 GTO A4 safety mode. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
06 GTO A4 safety mode.

I just bought a 06 gto A4 about 3 weeks ago.This morning all of the sudden computer screen started flashing and making a warning sound. It said traction control off, engine in reduced power mode. The car would barely go. Thank God I was close to home. It barely had enough power to make it into my driveway and sounded like it was running on on one or two cylinders. It shut off and now will not crank. It will not even turn over! Check engine light is on! Thank God I am still under carmax 30 day warranty. I also bought extended warranty. I guess that was a good decision. Car has 74K on it and has run awesome until this happened. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sound like a bad battery.

2005 GTO Quick - 1984 Honda V65 Magna Quicker - 2004 Z06 Quickest
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

It has a brand new battery that is 2 weeks or so old. I also noted that the headlights were very bright and when I tried to crank it over the dash lights did not dim and I could not hear the solenoid trying to engage.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 05:15 AM

Are one of those codes for the gas pedal switch? If that switch is bad you also would have no acceleration.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

It is at carmax now. I am disturbed at what happened because I have just bought the car and now I am having to pay for a rental out of pocket. They picked it up yesterday and I asked if they were going to pay for a rental and he said no even though it is still under 30 days. He said if they keep the car overnight then they would pay for a rental. I said "you are keeping it through the weekend"! He said that did not matter because they could not look at it until Monday. He also said if they had to keep it into tuesday they would not pay for this weekends rental.
Anyway, I hope they find out what the problem is because if they don't it will probably do it again. I really researched these cars before I made a purchase and I found many great reviews. I don't regret the purchase and I hope this was just a fluke occurrence. I could only find one post about my exact situation with the car and it turned out to be the ECU/PCM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
or BCM. Hopefully someone will look at the BCM wiring behind the glove box.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
or BCM. Hopefully someone will look at the BCM wiring behind the glove box.
I read the sticky on the BCM. I will check that when I get my car back if they don't. I also need to mention the shuttering I can feel through my armrest when I leave a redlight.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Just wanted to give an update about the car. First of all when I went to Carmax this past Monday morning (car died on Friday) and asked why I was having to rent a car they wanted to know who told me that because I should have never had to rent a car during a break down within the 30 day warranty. The service manager is reimbursing me for the rental, had someone follow me to the rental place to turn the car in, and then brought me back and gave me a loaner vehicle. So, in the end Carmax did me right.

There were 2 issues with the car. The first issue (" computer screen started flashing and making a warning sound. It said traction control off, engine in reduced power mode. The car would barely go. Thank God I was close to home. It barely had enough power to make it into my driveway and sounded like it was running on on one or two cylinders. It shut off and now will not crank. It will not even turn over! Check engine light is on!") turned out to be a short in the wiring harness which blew the 60 amp fuse, I was told the short was near the fuse, I want to be shown where when I pick the car up.

The second issue was "shuttering I can feel through my armrest when I leave a red-light with light acceleration" turned out to be the transmission. The guy that just called me to give an update said "the transmission was coming apart on the inside". That is disturbing to me! It is being rebuilt at AAMCO. Man, I hope they know what they are doing!!! Anyway the service work will have its own warranty plus I bought a 5 year 75000 mile extended warranty. All of this work is being done with Carmax's 30 day warranty for free. I will check the BCM myself for issues when I get it back. Should be tomorrow.
Peace
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It's nice they're stepping up to the plate!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bert1 View Post
It is at carmax now. I am disturbed at what happened because I have just bought the car and now I am having to pay for a rental out of pocket. They picked it up yesterday and I asked if they were going to pay for a rental and he said no even though it is still under 30 days. He said if they keep the car overnight then they would pay for a rental. I said "you are keeping it through the weekend"! He said that did not matter because they could not look at it until Monday. He also said if they had to keep it into tuesday they would not pay for this weekends rental.
Anyway, I hope they find out what the problem is because if they don't it will probably do it again. I really researched these cars before I made a purchase and I found many great reviews. I don't regret the purchase and I hope this was just a fluke occurrence. I could only find one post about my exact situation with the car and it turned out to be the ECU/PCM.
They have a how many day return policy? If the car is in that allotted time play em. Tell em they can have the car back, they don't want it back.. bluff em into a rental. If the car is out of the allotted
time frame.... BARK LOUD.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in