06 GTO Performance Questions - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
06 GTO Performance Questions

I recently purchased a 2006 GTO with M6 and 69000 miles and have a few questions about my performance.First off it runs rich but only on 1 side looking at the tailpipes one is clean and the other pretty black,is it possible for an o2 sensor to make one side run richer than the other? Second if I take off in first gear going about 10-15mph and smash the gas it will not break the tires loose is this normal? trac control off with 275/40/17 tires.Also it pulls real good but when I reach about 3500-4000 rpm its like I push a nitro button and it really kicks in, normal?Any input would be great. Thanks By the way i know the miles are a little high but I got the car for $14500, so a little money spent isnt a bad thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 AM

All sounds pretty normal for a stock car. Stock your not gonna burn them from a 15 mph roll really, chirp them maybe depends. Yeah the power at that rpm range is fantastic, it really goes like the devils chasin it. I would change the plugs if I were you I always do when I buy a car. Does it smoke ever? at start up? acceleration?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

It does not smoke at all.Seems like maybe it idles a little rough but not to bad, Im thinking thats because of the running rich, or do they all run like that. Any info on the o2 sensor part?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:37 AM

If the O2 was out of wack that bad it would throw a light. Dont know if its is running rich might have a fouled plug or two, the idles lope is normal, it has a little cam in it. A good tune up and you'll be fine sounds like its in good shape.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 AM

My 2006 GTO with A4...if I mash the throttle from a roll, I get tire spin and then when it hooks, it will chirp them again at the 1-2 shift...I think something is not right with your M6...
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Sorrry for the lack of detail, this is my first post. I do have a check engine light and when I took it to autozone they said some in the line of converter and o2 sensor,they reset it and it came back on almost right away,thats why I asked about the sensor making it run rich on only one side which would give me an idea of what sensor to replace. Maybe thats where some of my power is missing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:30 PM

There you go. If you have a malfunction like that it is probably causing you all sorts of loss. You can voltage check the sensors with a meter and torch. A bad o2 can cost you a lot of performance. With 400 hp and 400 torque you should be able to break them loose if you really stomp it even from a roll,especially with an M6.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 AM

Hi,
if the O2 sensor has a malfunktion the software turns to emergency-mode. Then it only takes the data from the speedsensor (crank and camshaft, if mounted) and throttle-value potentiometer.
For that case, the engine runs rich, because a thin mixture would increse tempretures in the cylinder and causing damage. (programmed by builder)
To give you a piece of advise, if it is possible to you, change both.
And to get the malfunkturecode out of the software (after changing) you should run the engine at more than 4000 rpm (to get lambda=1) for at least 10 seconds. All sensordata is deleted at this rational speed.

Hope this will help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in