1st to 4th? What's up with that? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1st to 4th? What's up with that?

I just cruised through the threads and was surprised no other comments have been made about the 1st to 4th restricted shifting. Doesn't anyone else find that function frustrating. Why should the car tell me how I am going to shift? Is there any way to disable this really fine option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 03:28 PM

there are threads on it

CAGS computer aided gear selection
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 03:31 PM

Not much has been made because this has been a feature with the 6spd for over 10 years. There are two ways to "fix" the problem. First, get a CAGS eliminator. Second, learn how to drive so that it doesn't happen. Over the first 2k in mine, I have to actually work the car to cause the skip shift to occur.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 06:57 PM

fuel economy

Ok here's the deal. Those fuel economy numbers are generated on the FTP ( federal test procedure ) City and HWY cycles on vehicle rolls. The results are weighted towards the city test. Big deal you say !! Well the shift schedule used on the vehicle rolls must also happen in the real world driving, Viola! the dreaded skip shift solenoid is required to insure production cars also
'skip' shift.
As has been mentioned it can be circumvented with throttle manuevers ( deeper throttle )or the CAGS device that disables the skip shift solenoid. I know there has been some discussion on fuel economy, but my Auto gets 19 to 20 local roads and 21 to 22 on the highway. It appears many of the low 12 to 13 numbers are with the M6. I've offen wondered if it is because of the deep throttle being used to miss skip shift or the disabled solenoid and now the M6 is going through ALL the gears instead of being short shifted by the solenoid? At any rate as has been pointed out it has been used for many years on the six speed box.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 07:19 PM

cheap fix for skip shift

Hey folks there is a web site called Parts For Your Car (PFYC.com) Click the GTO store link and they have a skip shift eliminator for $16. Says very easy install (famous last words). Course I wouldn't as this could void the warranty. Lots of other good stuff for the GTO like heaters for the seats K& N air and oil filters, GTO logo mats etc... I did order parts from this company few years ago for my Grand Prix GTP and was very happy with fast delivery and good quality aftermarket parts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 08:53 PM

1st to 4th Bypass

You can buy the CAGS eliminator from PFYC.com or you can check LS1.com for a cheaper way to eliminate the CAGS. Whatever you do, don't buy the thing off Ebay like I did. I paid $13 for a 2200 resistor and some shoddy instructions. If I didn't know cars well or the internet I would have been SOL.
I'm not sure how much a 2200 resistor costs at Radio shack but I bet I could have done this mod for like $5 or less if I would have seen LS1.com sooner.

Are there any other cheap mods for the LS1 other than the bypass on the Throttle body and the K&N filter?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 08:04 AM

I bought the cags eliminator and ask my dealer if it would void the warranty. He said no problem, go ahead an install it. I did and enjoy driving it more now that I don't have to wonder if it will go into second or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in