2005 Burning Oil - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2005 Burning Oil

I have about 400 miles on my 2005 GTO. It has used/burned 1-1/2 quarts of synthetic 10-40 oil. Is this normal? Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorn22
I have about 400 miles on my 2005 GTO. It has used/burned 1-1/2 quarts of synthetic 10-40 oil. Is this normal? Any recommendations?
Are you sure you actually used that much? Did you check the oil level when you left the dealer? It is highly likely that it was not full when you picked it up. I used 1 full qt during the first couple thousand miles but it seems to have gone away now that I have 7000. Some use in a brand new engine is normal, but not 1.5qts in 400 miles, thats like a qt per tank. I think you would see white smoke in the exhaust at that comsumption rate.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 12:13 PM

GM calls this usage, 1 - 1.5 qts between changes, in Gen III engines normal

Now in only a few hundred miles, I'd get to the dealer and let them fill & seal your filler cap, and watch closely.

Guess an oil ring may not have seated yet Happened in a powerstroke diesel i rebuilt.

please post the results

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:24 PM

I have 5,500 miles on mine and am seeing 1qt/1000 miles consumption. I asked the dealer about it and they just confirmed that it is "normal". Looks like I will be buying a case of oil.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 10:34 PM

GTO burning oil

My 2004 GTO has 6500 miles and so far has shown no signs of burning oil...thank goodness!

A car that burns oil will generally emit a bluish smoke out of the tailpipe during acceleration or deceleration or at start up after sitting from a hot soak.

It depends on where the oil is entering the combustion chamber from.

So far so good with my 04
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 06:00 AM

My 04 has 3400 miles and every time I check the oil level, its full. I did my first oil change at 1700 miles and then switched to Mobil 1 synthetic and no signs of using oil.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorn22
Don't get too excited. I'd buy into JMVorbeck's theory. I have an 05 and I experienced the same thing you did. At 5,000 miles the synthetic dinosaur juice was down about two quarts. At that point, I had an oil change and refill done at the dealer. In the last 4,000 miles the oil usage has been barely detectable on the dipstick, as it should be.

I'm with Mr. Vorbeck. I'll bet the factory fill was not done properly. Shame on me for not doing a thorough fluids check when I took delivery. And shame again for not checking fluids regularly over 5,000 miles.

The thing that kept me from panicking was the engine....
  • made no nasty noises
  • emitted no nasty odors
  • didn't soil the tailpipe with nasty stuff
  • Plus GM small blocks are generally very reliable

I just waited it out and all was fine. These GM small blocks have been around for a long while and are pretty damn good. An oil burner should be a rare ocurrence.

Good Luck!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 11:02 AM

Gen III engines burn oil, period. Those not consuming oil are in the minority.

I buy 2 - 4qt Mobil 1 bottles. I put 7 in, and 1 in reserve for about 1500-2000 mile refill
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westell
Gen III engines burn oil, period. Those not consuming oil are in the minority.

I buy 2 - 4qt Mobil 1 bottles. I put 7 in, and 1 in reserve for about 1500-2000 mile refill
Westell, I have no idea about the Gen III but my Gen IV burned some and now it has stopped completely. I have 4000 miles on this oil change so far and the oil is exactly at the full mark where I filled it to 4000 miles ago. I drive the holy hell out of it too.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:57 AM

Oil Burning you say? My Goat drinks the stuff like I drink beer during a Nebraska Cornhusker game...

I've been having the GM "engine consumption test" done on my car for the past 2k miles. This weekend I got sick of waiting around after once again seeing that the oil is below the fill line on the dipstick.

I average about 2-3 quarts every 700 miles. IS THAT SICK OR WHAT?!?! Scheduled an appt to have them look at it. Amazing enough, if you use the words "state" and "lemon" they really do want you to get it in, and my dude actually told me what they'll be doing! (Checking to see if its either an intake valve or an ring that hasn't seated yet. Either way, they know its messed up, and they know I mean business.

Could this be the reason I had crumby dyno results???? hmmmmmmmm

Last edited by huskerGTO; 09-12-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in