2005 GTO airbag help - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2005 GTO airbag help

Hi guys. I was in a low speed accident this morning during a heavy rainstorm. My GTO hydroplaned and I plowed into a parked car in a parking lot. No one was injured. It did a fair amount of damage to the front end of the GTO and the back end of the parked honda accord.

Everyone was fine. Nobody was injured. I had a co-worker in my car with me so I had a witness to the events as the happened. I gave my written statement to the police, that i'd turned onto the street heading west, the car hydroplained, jumped the curb and we hit the parked car.

The bitch is, the cop cited me for "careless driving," which I plan to fight on the court date on the citation. Now, I know that some airbag systems are computer controlled and do not deploy at crash speeds BELOW a specific MPH. Neither the driver nor the passenger airbag deployed, and i'm trying to find the specs on the airbag system in the 2005 GTO to help verify my case that I wasn't driving carelessly or at an unsafe speed.

I know full well that any car can hydroplane, even with traction control. I think because she saw it was a GTO sports car that we must have gunned the engine. From where we made the right hand turn onto the street to the parking lot, it's maybe a total of 100 yards. We were smoothly accellerating but we were definitely not speeding. The car hit the puddle, the water was so deep it splashed up over the windshield, we hydroplaned.

So, can anybody help me find out about the specs of the airbags in my stock 2005 GTO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum, sorry for the circumstances that brought you here though.

You state it was a low speed accident. How fast were you going? It could be you were not going fast enough for the air bag to sense a collision?

A few years back a Jeep Cherokee was T-Boned and rolled just up the street from me, both the Jeep and the car that t-boned it, neither vehicles air bags deployed. I assumed the car that t-boned the jeep wasn't going fast because the woman was pulling out from a stop sign, and the Jeeps didn't deploy because it was a side collision and not head on.

In your case I am assuming you weren't going fast enough for the sensor to register it. Just a thought.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Welcome to the forum i hope your ok.
Im also thinking the sensor didnt registered it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:21 PM

In a way its a good thing those things did not deploy they are expensive. It used to be that they deployed at a certain MPH now it is if the computer detects suffecent force up to 30deg of the longitunal centerline of the vehicle.

Quote from the Service Manual:

A frontal crash of sufficient force up to 30 degrees (a) off the longitudinal centerline of the vehicle will deploy the frontal air bags and the pretensioners.

The frontal SIR system deploys an air bag from the center of the steering wheel and from the right side of the instrument panel.

The seat belt pretensioners remove slack from the driver and passenger front seat belts during a frontal impact. The frontal SIR system may deploy the seat belt pretensioners with or without the frontal air bags.

The SDM performs continuous diagnostic monitoring of the SIR system electrical components. Upon detection of a circuit malfunction, the SDM will set a DTC and inform the driver by requesting the instrument panel cluster (IPC) to turn the AIR BAG indicator ON.

Frontal SIR System Description
The frontal SIR system consists of the following components:

AIR BAG Indicator in the IPC
Inflatable restraint SDM
Inflatable restraint steering wheel module
Inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil
Inflatable restraint I/P module
Inflatable restraint seat belt pretensioner - LF
Inflatable restraint seat belt pretensioner - RF
The inflatable restraint SDM, inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil, inflatable restraint steering wheel module, inflatable restraint I/P module, seat belt pretensioner - LF, seat belt pretensioner - RF, and the connecting wires make up the frontal deployment loops. The function of the frontal deployment loops is to supply current through the frontal inflator modules and the pretensioners to cause deployment in the event of a mild-to-severe frontal collision. Deployment occurs when the SDM detects vehicle velocity changes severe enough to warrant deployment.

The SDM contains a sensing device (accelerometer) that converts vehicle velocity changes to an electrical signal. The SDM compares this electrical signal to a value stored in memory. When the generated signal exceeds the stored value, the SDM performs additional signal processing and compares the generated signals to values stored in memory. When two of the generated signals exceed the stored values, the SDM will allow current to flow through the frontal inflator modules and the pretensioners causing deployment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in