2006 gto overheats - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2006 gto overheats

I changed my oil and a lower radiator hose and now my car over heats. Can anyone help me out???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 11:27 PM

Burp the coolant?

06/QSM/A4
SoCal Goat Club
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 12:53 AM

Changed oil, engine overheats...

Experienced that recently, I was noticing drippings size of a table plate every am. Coolant level low warning comes on, radiator is on full, would top reservoir, after a few days, the same thing. Didn't want to have more problems, my mechanic replaced water pump and thermostat. It's been more than a month now, situation normal.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoakland900 View Post
I changed my oil and a lower radiator hose and now my car over heats. Can anyone help me out???
Check your lower hose to make sure its not sucking closed. It could be sucking closed causing a circulation issue. If you discover this, get a hose spring and insert it in the hose to prevent this. Not all hoses are created equal, thin wall hoses will pinch nearly shut, an older OEM hose will loose its stiffness over time and have pinching issues.

Your system may have gotten air in it and the thermostat is not operating normally and may need "burped" to clear the air bubble.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 08:29 PM

If the system has air in it you'll need to disconnect the rubber hose to the crossover pipe at the top of the cylinder heads. while disconnected, add antifreeze mixture until it begins to exit the crossover tube, Reconnect the crossover tube rubber hose, top off the radiator and verify correct level in the receiver tank. Check daily for a few days and top off if necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in