40k Mile Tire Endorsement - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
40k Mile Tire Endorsement

I'm just about to cross over the 40,000 mile mark on my Holden...and it's only now time for new tires.

These Dunlop SP Sport FM901 245/40ZR18s are nothing short of phenomenal. I drive my car pretty hard and would have thought thatat least the rear tires would have been long ago made bald and toasty...but if I wanted to, I bet I could get another 5k miles out these. I don't want to, BTW, but I bet it wouldn't be an issue.

They are OK in the rain (hey, they are sport / performance tires) and just awesome grippy on the dry. I have never rotated them- every time I recommend they do so, I was told "there's no reason to." So- shrug.

They look cool too.

I wanted some snazzy Goodyear F1 D-types, but I realize that I'd be a fool not to pick up another set of the same Dunlops again.

So...consider the Dunlop SP Sport FM901 245/40ZR18s as officially long-term test approved!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 06:39 PM

Excellent Mileage.

Will take a better look at these Dunlops...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

I've just ordered them from Tire Rack...they are suprisingly inexpensive at $118/ea!

I believe they are being phased out...I'm glad I scooped them!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
I've just ordered them from Tire Rack...they are suprisingly inexpensive at $118/ea!

I believe they are being phased out...I'm glad I scooped them!
Are they quiet? How is ride quality?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm just about to cross over the 40,000 mile mark on my Holden...and it's only now time for new tires.

These Dunlop SP Sport FM901 245/40ZR18s are nothing short of phenomenal. I drive my car pretty hard and would have thought thatat least the rear tires would have been long ago made bald and toasty...but if I wanted to, I bet I could get another 5k miles out these. I don't want to, BTW, but I bet it wouldn't be an issue.

They are OK in the rain (hey, they are sport / performance tires) and just awesome grippy on the dry. I have never rotated them- every time I recommend they do so, I was told "there's no reason to." So- shrug.

They look cool too.

I wanted some snazzy Goodyear F1 D-types, but I realize that I'd be a fool not to pick up another set of the same Dunlops again.

So...consider the Dunlop SP Sport FM901 245/40ZR18s as officially long-term test approved!

Dang Grouch, I dont see how you did it. 350hp and 40K on a single set of tires. You sir must have self diciplines that would rival a Vulcan. You managed 34,000 more miles than I did.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 01:59 PM

How's the launch on them and like vmax said, how's the ride quality and sound generation?

They look pretty nice...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 10:14 AM

That's cool, as the Dunlop brand is owned by Goodyear.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 09:29 AM

Come on Groucho, need these questions answered here!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceEater
How's the launch on them and like vmax said, how's the ride quality and sound generation?

They look pretty nice...
The launch is pretty sprightly, ride quality is very good for a performance car. I've heard people complain about road noise but it doesn't sound any louder inside that it does in my buddy's '05 with OEM meats on it.

Lateral grip, wet and dry, is damned impressive. These aren't all that great in the high-speed wet, however, as they have a tendency to hydroplane when hitting puddles at speed or cruising in driving rain.

Remember that most of my drive is high-speed freeway stuff, so your mileage may vary. I've smoked the tires a few times (of course) but I try to avouid it....drag racing is definitely not my cup o' Starbucks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 01:35 PM

Darn lol, you were saying beautiful things about them and I was going to look into them... except for the rain.

We get so much rain here that tires which can handle wet conditions are a MUST. My search continues...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in