User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to sleepindirty
4ty bumper to bumber extended warrenty!

I just purchased my 2005 gto, it has 45000 miles on it and I knew it was out of the manufactures warranty. I purchased the extended warranty, it was a 3 year 36k mile, bumper-to-bumper warranty. It sounded fantastic and they offered to up it to 4 yr 45k miles. It seemed like a no brainer.
Iíve purchased several new cars and have never had a problem with warranties. But after reading im thinking this bumper-to-bumper warranty is not of the same quality as the original. There are a few things I want to take it in for. The passenger vanity mirror visor will not stay up. The steering wheel has some bubbling on the posts just out side the horn button. And the latch on the center console lid is broken. Other than that the car feels real solid. The brakes seem a little squishy at times ... I would think for a sports car they would be much more responsive.

my question I guess is, did I waste money on the warranty? or will I actually be able to use it to get some things fixed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26833_410273971997_631556997_5456506_872220_n.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	7051   Click image for larger version

Name:	15325709531_276602163_IM1_09_565x421_A_562x421.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	7052  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The term bumper to bumper means everything is covered. This is reserved for a new car. A used car at 45K miles is far from new. What you have is an extended warranty if your warranty place is throwing the term bumper to bumper out there they're misleading you. Coverages vary it depends on the level of coverage you purchased. Usually cosmetic stuff is not covered. i.e seats tears, paint, the bubbles on your steering wheel plastic covers.
Your contract will define what's covered. NO the coverage will not be as comprehensive as the "bumper to bumper" from factory.

These cars new were not "squishy." Despite the issues of these cars they are a solid car and responsive. It's the previous owners who neglected them, and beat them that are squishy, you just picked up what they unloaded that's all.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
The term bumper to bumper means everything is covered. This is reserved for a new car. A used car at 45K miles is far from new. What you have is an extended warranty if your warranty place is throwing the term bumper to bumper out there they're misleading you. Coverages vary it depends on the level of coverage you purchased. Usually cosmetic stuff is not covered. i.e seats tears, paint, the bubbles on your steering wheel plastic covers.
Your contract will define what's covered. NO the coverage will not be as comprehensive as the "bumper to bumper" from factory.

These cars new were not "squishy." Despite the issues of these cars they are a solid car and responsive. It's the previous owners who neglected them, and beat them that are squishy, you just picked up what they unloaded that's all.
Some kind of brake upgrade is going to be in your future. Weighing in at almost 3800lbs these cars just lack the stopping power they should have been given. The brakes I got on my goat have made a significant difference over stock. If you plan on putting a few more ponies into this thing, some slotted rotors would only better you.
These cars are extremely responsive, just not in the braking, just press the gas pedal!

As for your question on wasting your money on the extended warranty? No you didn't. But if you expect things like a visor or steering wheel cover to be included in the warranty...they won't be. Now an AC compressor would be a different story, something more along the lines of a mechanical problems are where you will pat yourself on the back for buying the warranty.

------------
'04 LS1 GTO
K&N intake, Magnaflow x-pipe, Bullet mufflers 2.5' pipes, B&M Ripper Shifter, SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch, Rear sway bar, EBC Sport rotors, RK Sport hood

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Let me know what they say when you take it in for the things you mention. I have a similar warranty. The difference being that I didn't pay for it, it came with the car having been purchased by the previous owner. Recently, the company (US Fidelis), filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy. They assure us that have their warranties that they are still good. I don't know, I've never used it and I was skeptical before they filed for bankruptcy. It's nothing like the original factory warranty. To many stipulations. You can't change your own oil, do your own tune ups, etc. I've likely voided it already. I would hate to pay $2000-3000 for this (or any) warranty only to find out that my problem, whatever it happended to be, isn't covered. Read through that warranty carefully as far as what you can and can't do and what is and isn't covered.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to sleepindirty
thanks guys! .. I should be recieving somethign from the dealer any day now as its comming up on two weeks since the car was delivered to me.

I guess they could have mislead me a little. he definatly said "bumper-to-bumper" and I repeated "bumper-to-bumper" (I guess my eyes glased over a little) he said yes.. if anything goes wrong with the car I can take it to any asc certified mecanic to have the work done. I hope I dont regret this as I did pay 2k for the 4yr 45000 mile coverage, now if I lose a transmission or something I guess ill be glad I have it, wich is possiable seeing it will be under the warrenty to 90k miles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM

My GM certified vehicle (bumper to bumper) warrenty is about to expire. I was thinking of spending a hundred or so to have a local mechanic take a look at my car to see if any major issues exist. I bought an extended warrenty, however, it does not cover as much, think it is a good idea, or waste of money?

Your feedback is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in