68 GTO Electical problems, Help? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
68 GTO Electical problems, Help?

I have a 68 GTO that is restored and ran perfect until yesterday afternoon. I went down the street to a grocery store, shut the car off. when I came back out It started right up no problem. I drove down the street aprox. 2 miles, parked, and shut it off again. Came back to it 3 minutes later went to start it and it was as if the battery had been 95% drained. It would only turn over about half a crank. I had no electronics on while the car was off and did not leave the headlights on. I had a tow truck come out with a portable jumper box and it started right up. the volts were only at 13.2. While the engine was running i disconected the battery cable and it stayed running meaning that the alternator was still good.
The battery that is in the car is no more than two months old and is the most expensive gel glass mat battery. I highly doubt the battery is bad.
Does anyone know what could possibly be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe a solenoid?

Even if the alternator is running won't necessarily mean it's good. The alternator charges the battery. Could be the alternator is on it's way out.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Could be a loose connection or a bad cable on either the pos or neg battery cables.

Randy

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:52 AM

What about the voltage regulator?

As far as the battery, one of our club members had a battery issue in his 70 Judge. Two in a row, the new batteries were bad. He has since swore off Advanced uto Parts.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure, Voltage regulator is recently new and the alternator the same. I've eliminated the alternator being bad because after i jumped the car and it was running i disconnected the positive battery cable and the car stayed running.
I charged the battery to full today and put it in the car after cleaning the contacts very well. Started right up and ran it for awhile. checked volts while car was on and they stayed steady at 12.6 at the battery. I was getting about the same on the alternator as well. I turned on the headlights and the volts dropped to 12.4 and stayed steady. By staying steady on the battery i assume the alternator was charging the battery.
I also shut off the car and it started up again. still not sure what made it do this and who knows it may be dead tomorrow morning again. hope for the best. I always seem to have stupid trivial problems with this car. lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtovett View Post
I'm not sure, Voltage regulator is recently new and the alternator the same. I've eliminated the alternator being bad because after i jumped the car and it was running i disconnected the positive battery cable and the car stayed running.
I charged the battery to full today and put it in the car after cleaning the contacts very well. Started right up and ran it for awhile. checked volts while car was on and they stayed steady at 12.6 at the battery. I was getting about the same on the alternator as well. I turned on the headlights and the volts dropped to 12.4 and stayed steady. By staying steady on the battery i assume the alternator was charging the battery.
I also shut off the car and it started up again. still not sure what made it do this and who knows it may be dead tomorrow morning again. hope for the best. I always seem to have stupid trivial problems with this car. lol
How old are the battery cables? Maybe the positive cable has corrosion inside the insulation, or a nick in it somewhere?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

They are quite old and posibly original cables. Point of contact was somewhat corroded but i cleaned it all up. it is possible there is corrosion inside. I need to replace them but cant right now. hope it keeps working.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 11:40 AM

slightly confused, in your last explanation did you say you had 12.6 while the vehicle was running? thats what it sounded like you said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in