'68 GTO hood to Cowl Rubber Seal - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'68 GTO hood to Cowl Rubber Seal

I am about to install a rubber hood to cowl seal on my '68 GTO but it doesn't come with directions. It came with the black plastic "T" tabs to hold it in place, but I am not sure of the proper positioning of the seal and where these tabs attach to the seal? Anyone installed one of these before and have a picture of the proper placement? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The top part of the "T" tabs get inserted into the holes in the rubber. Then the rubber gets attached to the cowl, there should be holes there. If there is a lip on the top of the rubber, that usually faces forward so the under hood air pressure forces it to seal against the hood.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I see the holes in the cowl, but the rubber seal does not have any, so I guess I will have to make them. The seal is a triangle shape with a lip underneath with one open end. So I put the "T's" through the open lip portion and then face the open end of the lip towards the windshield? I can't photos with the proper positioning of these things anywhere.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglty View Post
So I put the "T's" through the open lip portion and then face the open end of the lip towards the windshield?
That's exactly right. Measure it so that the seal is centered, side to side, on the cowl then do what you said.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Great thanks everyone. I even found that if you use a hole punch to make the holes in the seal for the tabs it works perfect. Sounds reasonable. I will give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in