Alignment already??? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2004, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alignment already???

I have 6400 miles on my baby and it's clear to me that even though the steering feels right, that my baby( GTO) needs aligned. The front tires are worn excessively on the inner shoulders.
Am I the only one???

Do any of you think that warranty will cover the alignment and the necessary rotation???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 11:05 AM

Could that be from excessive tire pressure? May want to check that out.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 03:39 PM

Warranty covers the alignment for the first year or 12,000 miles if I remember correctly.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 03:22 PM

It's not that uncommon for new cars to need an aligment, espcially cars being shipped all the way from across the world. I'm not sure if dealers check alignments, or even if all of them can, but typically the alignment is set at the factory. BUT, jossels and bumps from shipment, espically if teh car is tied down too tight/loose, or imporperly, can throw the alignment out. And a car that was just barley 'in spec' at the factory is not out of spec. I'm not sure what the acceptable range is for this car, but usually the 'in-spec' range is quite large, and even a car 'within spec' can have poor tracking, pulling, or tire wear.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 07:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to lisatw151
along those lines...would need of reallignment cause a shimmy in the steering wheel? i don't notice it pulling either way, but there's a pretty noticeable shimmy in the wheel at highway speeds...especially around 60mph. at my last oil change, they said they balanced the tires but the shimmy is still there...if not worse. any ideas?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

My GTO does the exact same thing @ 62mph give or take. That's why I checked the tires. What I found was found excessive wear on the inside treadbar which clearly indicates an alignment problem. Alignment is scheduled for next week. I'll let you know if the shimmy @ 60 is gone or not.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to lisatw151
i think i'll call my dealership tomorrow and see if i can get it in soon. i'm due for another oil change anyway. plus, mine does something funky..poss w/the electrical system. when slowing down to a stop, clutch pushed in, when i get down to about 15mph, the headlights dim very briefly. obviously, more noticeable in the dark. very strange though. it only does it when the clutch is engaged and the rpm's are dropping. guess i'll have to ask them to hook it up to the obd
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 07:53 AM

Dimming lights could be a number of things...what other accessories do you ahve on? A/C, radio, etc? If you've got all of the above running, it may jsut be a strain on the alternator and a temporary voltage dip due to the alternator slowing down. Not sure waht the clutch would have to do with that, but stranger thigns have happened. Either that, or mabye a voltage regulator. Or of course, maybe nothing, and it's just another quirk, like the lack of central locking....gotta love those backwards Aussie's.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisatw151
i think i'll call my dealership tomorrow and see if i can get it in soon. i'm due for another oil change anyway. plus, mine does something funky..poss w/the electrical system. when slowing down to a stop, clutch pushed in, when i get down to about 15mph, the headlights dim very briefly. obviously, more noticeable in the dark. very strange though. it only does it when the clutch is engaged and the rpm's are dropping. guess i'll have to ask them to hook it up to the obd
The dimming you see is normal to all the ls1 v-8's. I ranted and raved at my dealer over the same thing on my '98 Z-28. Then when I got this GTO, same thing. It's the electric air pump??? I think. All the GMC sierras in my fleet do the same thing. Enjoy the ride even if it has a quirk or two
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 07:04 AM

Headlight issue-my 00 z28 did the same thing. Had it for 3 years replaced the battery once and never replaced the altenator. Dont worry about the lights. As for the shimmy at 60, could be a alignment issue or you could have a bad tire. I have seen a number of tires that have a slight defect from the factory that would cause such a problem. Check out the post on over-inflated tires from factory, that would cause a shimmy and excessive tire wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in