All Mobil 1 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All Mobil 1

This may have been discussed in the past, and if so I missed it, but... I've been using Mobil 1 in the motor since new. I would like to switch to synthetic in the tranny (auto) and the rear end. No one around here has any idea at all when it comes to our cars. What Mobil 1 products should I use in the tranny and rear end? Thanks for the help.

p.s. To date the car has been perfect. Other then a failed gas cap (?) I have had no problems at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:41 PM

All the feedback I've heard says don't but synthetic fluid in the transmissions unless you are operating at extremely high temperatures, that the GM A4 runs best on regular GM approved transmission fluid. I believe the Mobil differentional fluid requires the addition of a friction modifier, thus I only use Mobil in my differentials that don't require FM. If that is confirmed, consider using Royal Purple GearMax. It has the FM already mixed in and has good reports from other GTO users.

05 Brakes w/ C5Pads, K&N CAI, TBCoolantByPass, -CAGS, , +Outlets, DeadPedal, UnSpoiled, GasCapHook, PedalsRightSideUp, HitchToGo,
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 08:18 PM

Sorry for the late response to this... been at sea.

In my opinion, synthetic fluids will hold up significantly better than petroleum based fluids in the high temp conditions of a tranny (or diff). However, using the correct fluid which meets the manufacturers requirements is still necessary.

I'm not positive, but believe the GTO requires a transmission fluid meeting GM Dexron III requirements. Many synthetics, including Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF meet this standard and are appropriate for use in the GTO. Mobil 1 also makes a synthetic diff fluid that meets the requirements for the GTO, the Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75w140. Mobil 1 states this fluid has limited slip additives in it, and does not normally need the limited slip additive from GM. Like AMSOIL, Mobil 1 also states that in some applications, OEM specific additives can be added.

As an alternative to Mobil 1, I know these fluids do meet Pontiac requirements for the automatic GTO:
AMSOIL ATF
AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w140
As a note, this gear lube also has the friction modifier already in it.

Diff takes two quarts, auto tranny takes 11 quarts total fill and around 5.3 quarts for a drain and fill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in