AMSOIL Releases New Line of Extended Life Oil Filters - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AMSOIL Releases New Line of Extended Life Oil Filters

For those of you are leery of running your oil as long as recommended by the oil life monitoring system, which averages 8,500 miles according to GM, due to concerns that the oil filter can't perform that long, AMSOIL has just introduced a new line of filters rated for 25,000 miles or one year for normal service, 15,000 miles or one year for severe service. This new line of filters was developed in conjunction with Wix and Donaldson, highly respected companies in the filtration market.

More info on these filters can be found here:
AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter

Product code for the GTO is EAO32.

Request a Free AMSOIL Catalog
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 07:47 PM

No disrespect....but thats like takin a shower with your socks on. My filter gets changed every time. I cant go 8500 miles between changes either. I wouldnt be able to sleep at nite.....

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 11:08 PM

I know the synthetic oil technology has probably advanced to allow extended life but I can't shake my old school mentality that oil is relatively cheap compared to my 30k GTO. I also get concerned about combustion biproducts that end up in the oil, acids etc. and like to keep fresh oil in the engine. I prefer to change mine every 2000-2500mi. w/ filter whether it needs it or not. Plus it keeps me out in the garage more, away from the teenage daughter and wife debates or vacuum cleaner sound! I would rather rotate the spark plugs in my '94 Z28 with the SLP headers in the way than be the referee for those two! The garage is my friend..

2005 GTO, M6, Quicksilver / Black
2003 GTP, Silver / Black, 3.4" Pulley
1994 Z-28, Red, M6, Hotcam, SLPs, Tune
1994 Z-28, Red, M6, stock
1994 Cadillac STS

Last edited by cat1055man; 12-23-2005 at 07:25 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 05:44 AM

Maybe in a little newer Civic, or Camry, or Cavalier, or something like that, but not a performance car like this GTO. I can't see it. Too much heat, and wear and tear going on under this hood.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Believe me, I understand the reasoning behind changing fluids and filters more often than required. You don't want to know how much fluid (engine, tranny and diff) and filters I go through in a race season.

But, though you might not want to use this new filter for anywhere near 8,500 miles, the average of the oil life monitoring system, this filter still provides excellent filtration even as small as 15 microns, which may provide long term benefits to the motor.

And... I threw the new filter out there as many of my customers have other cars besides the GTO that they may use longer oil change intervals for.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:55 PM

I bought the Amsoil filter but my oil guy said it hit the guard underneath (to long) I am runnning the 0/30 and plan to go 15000...would like to use there filter also.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCACE
I bought the Amsoil filter but my oil guy said it hit the guard underneath (to long) I am runnning the 0/30 and plan to go 15000...would like to use there filter also.
Do you remember what filter it was? I have been using the older SDF32 on my Z06 for a few years now. The SDF32 is a very small filter that has the same footprint as the stock ac delco unit. The new EAO32s just came out a few weeks ago and I don't have one yet. I'll order one and compare it to the stock filter. I'd be surprised to see if it is longer than the stock unit, but who knows.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdriver
For those of you are leery of running your oil as long as recommended by the oil life monitoring system, which averages 8,500 miles according to GM, due to concerns that the oil filter can't perform that long, AMSOIL has just introduced a new line of filters rated for 25,000 miles or one year for normal service, 15,000 miles or one year for severe service. This new line of filters was developed in conjunction with Wix and Donaldson, highly respected companies in the filtration market.

More info on these filters can be found here:
AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter

Product code for the GTO is EAO32.

Request a Free AMSOIL Catalog
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program

Thanks. My brother is a preferred AMSOIL customer. Just looked at one of his new Ea filters (Ea011). Looks good...and it claims a 98.70% filter efficiency @ 15 microns, compared to about 80% efficiency for another Synthetic blend filter (Mobil 1?)

Probably what I'll go with once I use up all of my AC-Delco Gold filters

[Edit] Maybe I'll hang onto my Ultragold filters?
Just looked at an old AC-Delco filter catalog and noticed that they were also rated at a 98% efficiency, @ 8-10 microns

Last edited by ModBoss2; 12-24-2005 at 12:17 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBoss2
[Edit] Maybe I'll hang onto my Ultragold filters?
Just looked at an old AC-Delco filter catalog and noticed that they were also rated at a 98% efficiency, @ 8-10 microns
How did you get that catalog? I'd like to get my hands on one and take a look at it.

This guy has done his own testing on a lot of filters (hasn't done the new EAO line yet though). His testing of the UPF (Gold) line shows smallest, not average, pore size of 15 microns. It also shows the filters to be a very low flowing filter:
http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/ac-upf1218.htm

Compare that to the discontinued AMSOIL SDF line which had smallest pore size of 17 micron, but over three times the flow.

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/amsoil-sdf24.htm
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdriver
How did you get that catalog? I'd like to get my hands on one and take a look at it.

This guy has done his own testing on a lot of filters (hasn't done the new EAO line yet though). His testing of the UPF (Gold) line shows smallest, not average, pore size of 15 microns. It also shows the filters to be a very low flowing filter:
http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/ac-upf1218.htm

Compare that to the discontinued AMSOIL SDF line which had smallest pore size of 17 micron, but over three times the flow.

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/amsoil-sdf24.htm

Where did I get it? It's given out by the thousands to any service center that stock and sells AC-Delco parts, just for the asking. And I made no mistake with their claims of 98% efficiency, @ 8-10 microns. My eyes aren't that bad yet. It's on the inside front cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in