Angry letter to GM - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry letter to GM

I sent this to GM on behalf of all of us who feel screwed.

Robert Lange
Executive Director of
Vehicle Safety
General Motors Corporation
P.O Box 33170
Detroit MI 48232-5170

Dear Mr. Lange:

I am pleased to know that I am finally wise enough to call my purchase of a 2004 GTO my last GM purchase.

This letter was directed to you personally because of your title and your understanding of safety issues. In 1999 I made the unfortunate purchase of a Pontiac Firebird. Among many other smaller problems, this vehicle came to me with an engineering defect that caused my transmission valve body and torque converter to fail shortly after warranty. GM refuses to acknowledge it’s mistake which causes the torque converter control valve to leak which causes hard shifting (code P1870) which led to a cracked torque converter drive lug. GM refused to acknowledge the mistake it made on transmissions built before 1999, after which the problem corrected. Mine was one of the last made without the correction to the apply valve. Transmission shops tell me this is common and lots of research confirms it, but still I was out $1,500 by the time it was over.

What put me over the edge this time is that I was stupid enough to buy another GM product. GM refuses to acknowledge multiple suspension issues with the high-performance GTO, namely NHSTA investigation PE07-010 “strut-to-tire rub.” I fail to understand that after multiple accidents, why won’t GM admit it made a mistake by putting tires on the car that were too wide? Why does GM put it’s customers in jeopardy in these vehicles? How am I supposed to have any faith in your products? What am I supposed to do with four very expensive and useless wheels in my garage?

My concern is not that GM made a mistake, but rather that it won’t admit it even though there is a safety concern. Every car maker makes mistakes, but this one can kill people, and it already has. Instead of notifying loyal customers foolish to buy your products, GM hands the problem off to its attorney pool and the NHSTA. GM will not do the right thing unless someone forces it to. I guess you calculate the cost of lawsuits vs. the cost to do the right thing. Four wheel spacers added to the car would prevent the problem. The cost would be cheap and your reputation would be saved. Unfortunately the GM approach is to deny, deny, deny. This forces me to tell anyone I know never to by another GM product ever again. I tell them the same short stories above. So far I have convinced at least two dozen loyal GM buyers not to buy again. You may wonder why Toyota and Honda are beating you up in sales and this kind of customer care is exactly why.

I don’t really expect a personal response to this problem so please spare me the gratuitous automated insincere form letter expressing your apologies for my dissatisfaction with your product and the problems I have had. I would really feel much more gratified if you took this letter, rolled it up in a tight little ball and shoved it up your ass where it belongs. If you have half a pair, you will call me personally and we can discuss this issue. My number is 336-xxx-xxxx.

Former customer,

Darin Alfano

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 07-18-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Removed phone number digits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 04:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to JerseyGoat
Nice letter. The strut rub issue is a major concern that gm should take seriously
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I would be interested to know if you got any response even though I'd bet you don't.

You may want to edit your phone number and last name on this message board for privacy reasons but it's your call..... just my 2 cents.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 05:19 PM

I don't disagree with your viewpoint but, telling him to shove it the way you did probably won't help your case (great letter to that point). Would still be interested in hearing the updates to this situation.

BTW, my father has been a mechanic all of my life and a devoted GM loyalist and even he is talking about not buying another GM for the same reasons as you mentioned above.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge View Post

You may want to edit your phone number and last name on this message board for privacy reasons but it's your call..... just my 2 cents.
Nice letter, be nice to see if they reply in a coherent manner. By the way,
I added your phone number to my contacts so I can call and bug the pi$$ out of you...Just kidding!

1 of 370 Black Metallic/Red/Manual/18"
80U 756 MN6 N87
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 11:48 PM

I aggree with most of it, my angry letter writing sucks though
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 AM

Wtf????

You were doing so good in emphasizing yourself, until the end. You blew it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlock View Post
You were doing so good in emphasizing yourself, until the end. You blew it.
Until that last comment, it was a well written letter. Unfortunatly because of the ending comment, you will probably get your wish of " rolled it up in a tight little ball " followed by him tossing it in the trash without any further thought.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEARL JAM View Post
Until that last comment, it was a well written letter. Unfortunatly because of the ending comment, you will probably get your wish of " rolled it up in a tight little ball " followed by him tossing it in the trash without any further thought.
That letter would have made someone think if only for a second or two, until the last thing it went personal. You cannot go personal at this phase. You might as well not even bothered with writing it at all at this point. You totally flopped.

Unfortunately GM is having the upperhand on the strut rub issue IMO. However letters like this will never give us the upper hand. As much as the strut rub cheeses my toes, I have to say on the overall I take a likin' to my GTO. GM brought me a muscle car without the look of a corvette, stang, firechicken, or ricer, with all the performance. It is a rare and unique car, and I am truly grateful for it. People who do not have patience with GM should not buy any more GM...Simple as that...Playing battleships with letters will not resolve this issue, or help me in any way. With that said, I have taken your letter personally and have to say it is people like you who have made this issue even more difficult than it already has been. Thanks for nothing.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 10:49 AM

GM, Toyota, Honda, Ford whatever. They are all the same. All the parts are built in other countries I cant pronounce. Gm cars arent American cars. Maybe final assmebly is here(for most) but parts arent. So there is no such thing as an American car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in