Answer to single-side exhaust on 04's? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Answer to single-side exhaust on 04's?

I am just lost why they didn't do dual exhaust out the back on the 2004 GTO's... Was there any reason they put single exhaust? It looks horrible in my opinion...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 05:03 PM

Because its the European style, coming from a European car. It is truly a dual exhaust, only the pipes are routed out next to each other. The split side is an "American Dual" setup. It was probably changed to appeal to the American consumer for which it is targeted at as a GTO. And in my opinion (and yours) it really looks good, the sales numbers of the 05 reflect it as well. You can change it on your 04 and there is a guy on this forum who did it and what a bang up job he did. He used oval tips and I think it looks absolutely killer. There are pics of his torrid red with focus on the exhaust on his thread. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 05:14 PM

2004 sales stunk, in part, because idiot dealers were asking $10,000 over sticker (plus $7000 for the cheapest and ugliest aftermarket wheel and tire combinations you've ever seen) for GTOs when they came out. $50K for a GTO? No, thanks. This crap was going on all the way until November.

After every single interested customer left empty handed, vowing never to set foot in a Pontiac dealer again -- voila -- a 200 day supply of unsold GTOs. Helloooooooo, discounts!

As much as I like the 2005s (the exhausts, brakes and LS2 -- everything except the scoops), I'll take my fire sale price and 0% note any time.

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 07-28-2005 at 06:04 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMVorbeck
You can change it on your 04 and there is a guy on this forum who did it and what a bang up job he did. He used oval tips and I think it looks absolutely killer. There are pics of his torrid red with focus on the exhaust on his thread. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
Gee, I'm blushing
One improvement you can't see is that the car sounds better, IMO. Deeper and a little louder, especially above 3K. I am assuming this is a result of the bigger pipes behind the mufflers (2.5")

It cost me about $500 all told for this set up using Banshee Exhaust inserts, some custom oval tips, and SS 2.5" pipe from the mufflers back; I paid a body shop to install the inserts and an exhaust shop to run the pipes.
PRYC (who sells the Banshee inserts) is now offering a package of the inserts and the oval tips (which are copies of what comes on some Escalades) for around $200.00. You could also shave money if you wanted to by getting regular aluminized exhaust pipe or even just getting the passenger side run; I really wanted SS.

2004 Pulse Red GTO M6 - New Era CAI, TB Bypass, CAGS, Custom Split Exhaust, SLP Sway Bar & Bushings, BMR Strut Brace, HID, Sans Spoiler, Sirius

2002 Quicksilver Z06 - A Few Upgrades

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 05:18 AM

The 04 exhaust set-up running out one side also had another advantage - a larger trunk. The gas tank for the Monaro was originally in the other side location. Now with the fuel tank in the trunk to meet US safety regulations, there was room to run the exhaust out both sides as they did on the 05s.

05 Brakes w/ C5Pads, K&N CAI, TBCoolantByPass, -CAGS, , +Outlets, DeadPedal, UnSpoiled, GasCapHook, PedalsRightSideUp, HitchToGo,
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 08:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
That looks Sweet Dan!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 AM

I think they wanted to be a little different. For me, my 94Z had dual. Put the American Thunder from flow master (cat back). Had 1 big 'ol sewer pipe out the left side. My 02 SS had dual-dual (SLP) cat back, so the GTO was a change from what I had. I like it. I don't like the '05's too many other cars with the two tone plastic and oversize ovals, but a goat is a goat; there all GOOD
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlfirefighter
That looks Sweet Dan!
Thats an understatement. I am debating if I like that better than the 05 chrome tips. I am leaning twords yes.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
2004 sales stunk, in part, because idiot dealers were asking $10,000 over sticker (plus $7000 for the cheapest and ugliest aftermarket wheel and tire combinations you've ever seen) for GTOs when they came out. $50K for a GTO? No, thanks. This crap was going on all the way until November.

After every single interested customer left empty handed, vowing never to set foot in a Pontiac dealer again -- voila -- a 200 day supply of unsold GTOs. Helloooooooo, discounts!

As much as I like the 2005s (the exhausts, brakes and LS2 -- everything except the scoops), I'll take my fire sale price and 0% note any time.

+1

Indeed.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Tom

I think the announcement of 50hp scoops, and dual tips while 200days worth of GTOs were on the boat had more to do with it than the dealers doing what dealers do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in