Any Fabricators Out There? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any Fabricators Out There?

Any of you fabricators know if it's possible/cost effective to make the floormat holder/fasteners out of metal or some other more durable medium? I have an 8 and 13 year old and those plastic fasteners just don't hold up.

Any help or ideas appreciated.
GumbyGoat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 12:38 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Excellent idea. I'd be interested if the price was right. Damn car wash ppl broke the one on my drivers side when vacuuming.
bomber76 is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:20 PM
 
b_a_betterperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geez, was thinking the exact same thing. Would be a cool little billet item.

Thought the ones were missing from my car the night I bought mine. Told the salesman about it. He went and rounded up 4 more of them. A couple days later, when packing stuff like road flares and a flashlight in the trunk -- I found a paper envelope with 4 more of them. Think I'll keep them as spares just in case.
b_a_betterperson is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Geez, was thinking the exact same thing. Would be a cool little billet item.

Thought the ones were missing from my car the night I bought mine. Told the salesman about it. He went and rounded up 4 more of them. A couple days later, when packing stuff like road flares and a flashlight in the trunk -- I found a paper envelope with 4 more of them. Think I'll keep them as spares just in case.
Good idea, they don't last long. I've been through two sets. I'm not replacing until I can find a better option.
GumbyGoat is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 08:56 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyGoat
Any of you fabricators know if it's possible/cost effective to make the floormat holder/fasteners out of metal or some other more durable medium? I have an 8 and 13 year old and those plastic fasteners just don't hold up.

Any help or ideas appreciated.
Hi! New member; just signed up, a few minutes ago.

I'd be happy to take a look at the idea!

I own a one-man tool and die job shop, and can make just about anything.
Currently, as a sideline business, I make custom-engraved stainless steel shift knobs to fit BMW and MINI Cooper (see www.whalenshiftmachine.com).

I don't have any idea what they look like, but I'll get my hands on one of the fasteners that you're interested in, and see what I can do.
Doug W. is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W.
Hi! New member; just signed up, a few minutes ago.

I'd be happy to take a look at the idea!

I own a one-man tool and die job shop, and can make just about anything.
Currently, as a sideline business, I make custom-engraved stainless steel shift knobs to fit BMW and MINI Cooper (see www.whalenshiftmachine.com).

I don't have any idea what they look like, but I'll get my hands on one of the fasteners that you're interested in, and see what I can do.
Give me an address, I'll send you one. That's the least I could do if you're going to look into it. Thanks
GumbyGoat is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 11:29 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyGoat
Give me an address, I'll send you one. That's the least I could do if you're going to look into it. Thanks
Excellent!
I stopped by my local dealership yesterday, but the parts dept. was closed.

Here you go:

Doug Whalen
4944 Pearl City Rd.
Freeport, IL 61032

As soon as it shows up, I'll let you know what I can do.

Thanks!
Doug W. is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W.
Excellent!
I stopped by my local dealership yesterday, but the parts dept. was closed.

Here you go:

Doug Whalen
4944 Pearl City Rd.
Freeport, IL 61032

As soon as it shows up, I'll let you know what I can do.

Thanks!
Got the part packaged up. I'll mail it tomorrow in the am. Let me know when you get it. Curious to see what you come up with. Thanks again, Brian
GumbyGoat is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 07:32 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome! Thanks Doug for seeing what you can do for us.
bomber76 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 08:07 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber76
Awesome! Thanks Doug for seeing what you can do for us.
No problem; I really enjoy getting into this kind of stuff!

My background is eight years as a modelmaker at Honeywell and eighteen years having my own shop; so making things is what I do, on a daily basis.

Sometimes, if I'm lucky, it even pays the bills!
Doug W. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome