Att. All Gto Owners. Please Read. Electrical Problems - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Att. All Gto Owners. Please Read. Electrical Problems

I AM PROUD TO SAY I HAVE TAKEN MY GTO CROSS COUNTRY, FROM CT TO ARIZONA. ALONG THE WAY I HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE CLUSTER. SOMEWHERE IN PA. IT STARTED TO GIVE FALSE SPEED READINGS. I SHUT THE CAR OFF AND RESTARTED THE CAR A FEW TIMES BEFORE IT WENT BACK TO NORMALE. LATER SOMEWHERE IN OHIO IT STARTED TO GIVE FALSE FUEL READINGS AND SPEED AT THE SAME TIME. AFTER THAT I DID THE SAME THING AND RESTARTED THE CAR A FEW TIMES BEFORE IT WENT BACK TO NORMALE. I DONT KNOW WHAT MADE THIS HAPPEND AND WHEN I GOT TO AZ THE RADIO WOULD SHUT OFF. AND WHAT REALLY DID IT WAS THE SEAT DOES NOT MOVE FORWARD ANYMORE. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER SHIP AND IT WAS PUT INTO THE COMPUTER AND IT CHECKED OUT NO PROBLEMS FOUND OTHER THAN THE SEAT NOT WORKING. SO THE PART IS ON BACK ORDER AND IT CAN BE ANYWHERE BETWEEN 5 DAYS AND 4 MONTHS. GREAT!!!!!!! SO I LOVE THE CAR IT HAS JUST BEEN A NIGHTMARE. SO IF ANY ONE KNOWS ANYTHING LET ME KNOW. THANKS, UR FELLOW GTO OWNER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 09:39 PM

mine has had the same trouble with the false speed readings. It is one of the glitches in this car. I have heard of people with false temperature readings, or Heat Spikes. There is apparently some wires rubbing on the firewall causing temporary shorts.
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 09:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Whiteshadow
Hello!

I'm sorry about your troubles. Luckily I may be of some help.

The GTO I took out for a test drive had the same problem. The tach was bouncing all around, the speedo was indicating anywhere from 60mph-120mph on a road where I was travelling 40mph at the fastest. I didn't pay much attention to anything else which was or was not working. I was very lucky that the salesman was in the car with me at the time, and he noticed the same problem with the electronics. He had me pull over, shut the car off, and restart to get on our way back to the dealership.

After the test drive, we pulled the car into the service bay, and it was back on the lot the next day. Apparently, there is a short somewhere around the glovebox area. I believe they were saying something about the ground for some of the wires was funny, so they will fix it free of charge.

If it was me, I'd take the car to the dealership whenever possible, and have mention the problems you are having. I guess it's a 15 minute fix at the dealership as long as they find the actual problem.

I'll check with my dealership on Monday, and let you know EXACTLY what they did to fix my demo car.

post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 05:43 AM

When one of my cell phones is getting a call the speedo somtimes bounces to 200mph. Mine is normal otherwise.
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 08:47 AM

Do you think that the problems will be fixed for '05???
Never heard of such problems in a new car before, I wouldn't buy one if it had that type of problems.
post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:06 AM

You wouldn't buy a car over a 15 minute fix?

Like any new car, there will be the occasional bug to fix. I had a water leak in the trunk of the car. Evidently, a weld had cracked and was allowing water inside. I guess they should probably fire that darn robot that did the welding.

From everyone's feedback, it appears the GTO has been very reliable. I for one say this is the best built GM product I have ever driven.

And when I had that water problem, the dealership was more than willing to offer me a 2005 GMC Envoy to drive for a couple of days. That is the type of customer service that I like to see.
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchmeifucan
You wouldn't buy a car over a 15 minute fix?

Like any new car, there will be the occasional bug to fix. I had a water leak in the trunk of the car. Evidently, a weld had cracked and was allowing water inside. I guess they should probably fire that darn robot that did the welding.

From everyone's feedback, it appears the GTO has been very reliable. I for one say this is the best built GM product I have ever driven.

And when I had that water problem, the dealership was more than willing to offer me a 2005 GMC Envoy to drive for a couple of days. That is the type of customer service that I like to see.
Well, at as long as the reliability is OK. Sounds like the electrical problem could keep recurring though?
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshadow
Hello!

I'm sorry about your troubles. Luckily I may be of some help.

The GTO I took out for a test drive had the same problem. The tach was bouncing all around, the speedo was indicating anywhere from 60mph-120mph on a road where I was travelling 40mph at the fastest. I didn't pay much attention to anything else which was or was not working. I was very lucky that the salesman was in the car with me at the time, and he noticed the same problem with the electronics. He had me pull over, shut the car off, and restart to get on our way back to the dealership.

After the test drive, we pulled the car into the service bay, and it was back on the lot the next day. Apparently, there is a short somewhere around the glovebox area. I believe they were saying something about the ground for some of the wires was funny, so they will fix it free of charge.

If it was me, I'd take the car to the dealership whenever possible, and have mention the problems you are having. I guess it's a 15 minute fix at the dealership as long as they find the actual problem.

I'll check with my dealership on Monday, and let you know EXACTLY what they did to fix my demo car.
Here's a little more information to help identify the cause:

I have read that the BCM ("body control module" ?), supposedly behind the glovebox, is susceptible to shorting out or interference because of improper shielding and can cause false readings.

Good luck.
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 08:01 PM
adearmas

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I had the experience that my driver's side window all of the sudden stopped working properly and acted very erratic. Long story short, I left it alone and the problem went away after a couple of weeks. I have met at least four other GTO owners here and at LS1GTO forums with the same problem, which seems to be electrically related. I have had no feedback on the other guys. I have seen other forum threads reporting exactly the same problem you are reporting so definitely the GTO has a problem.

Affected GTO owners should contact Pontiac at www.pontiac.com on this for the incidence is such that I think a recall is due before someone here has his car catch on fire, hopefully not with his family and kids inside the car. I already did and you will need your vehicle vin number to submit e-mail.

Last edited by adearmas; 11-07-2004 at 08:37 PM.
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:56 PM

Electrical Problems Here To

I have had several electical issues. pull up to a stop lite and the mph goes to 200mph, the classic fuel gauge misreading, the latewst and scared the be-jesues out of me, last night just listen to the exhaust with a bud, then all of a sudden the Hot / Cold guage went all the way up and I got the beeping noise showing a temp guage reading hot on the dash.

A restart of the car fixed all issues, however after thinging about this I am going to up the priority to take the car in the Dealership. ANYONE else have simlair, what the fix????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in