Aus gas tank vrs USA tank? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aus gas tank vrs USA tank?

Is it true that the Aus gas tank is under the car and that the USA tank is in the trunk? I looked into my trunk and see that it just aint much of a trunk at all. So if the Aus tank is under the car, how much trunk space do they have over the USA cars?

Dose any one have pics of the Aus tank and trunk?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 04:16 PM

The Holden Monaro, until 2004, did have the gas tank underneath the floorpan. The fuel filler door was in a different location, too, down by where the bumper and rear quarter are on the right side of the car.

For the GTO, the tank was moved to its current, stupid location to satisfy American crash standards. Don't have a picture of the original trunk -- but it goes all the way to the back seats (which did not fold down).

As for what the Aussies do for a spare tire -- I have no idea.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

So the gas tank was under the trunk were the spare tire tub is? The trunk must be huge?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 02:56 PM

Yep. But I don't know what the Aussies did for a spare. Personally, I wouldn't have minded having the gas tank stay in the same location -- and have a can of goo to fill up a flat. Oh, well.

To me, the trunk, or lack thereof, was one of the factors that hurt sales of the car. At first, it looks tiny -- but I've never had a problem getting stuff into it.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 03:06 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the tires that the Aussie's use are run flats....I know Pontiac uses run flats on the Grand Prix GXP and the Solstice...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=b_a_betterperson]Yep. But I don't know what the Aussies did for a spare. Personally, I wouldn't have minded having the gas tank stay in the same location -- and have a can of goo to fill up a flat. Oh, well.

Suggest you visit the Crossfire forum and do a search on flat or flats. The XFire comes with the Goo and a compressor. If you pick up a nail, that's fine. Our low profile tire, and even lower profile on the XFire tend to blow out sidewalls, if they hit a pothole hard enough. A barrel of goo won't help you with that.

At least our tires our more commonly found. The XFire tires are similar to the Vette's. Can't tell you all the horror stories I read on that subject over there. People stranded for 3 days, and then screwed for $800-$1200 to fix a flat tire!

I've also read the new Solstice has the goo, too! And if you think our trunk is small, check out the Solstice. With the top down, there is no trunk.

The spare in the trunk was one of the things I liked about the GTO.

My 2 cents.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 03:28 PM

I had the compressor and two cans of fix-a-flat in the Z06. It definately made me somewhat uneasy. I've never had a flat, but would hate to get a sidewall blowout and be stranded because of no spare. My C6 has run flats, and I've talked to a couple of people about them. You can go for a long time with a flat tire, and if the tire store doesn't have your size, you can go to the next. Goodyear also warranties the tire against flats and if you get one they fix it on their dime.

Take a look at the Cadillac Catera, the trunk is what the GTO's should have looked like and the spare is where it should be.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 07:32 PM

A couple years ago I started carrying a pack in my trunk with a small compressor, plug kit and tools (needlenose pliers, screwdrivers, etc.)

I have repaired at least 4 flats with this kit on the road, many times without taking the wheel off or jacking up the car (got dirty though). I drive/travel alot for work so this level of self-sufficiency was necessary. I was fortunate in that the flats were punctures to the tread, not sidewall damage. Disclaimer: don't drive around with plugs in your tire, even though I have.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOrque
A couple years ago I started carrying a pack in my trunk with a small compressor, plug kit and tools (needlenose pliers, screwdrivers, etc.)

I have repaired at least 4 flats with this kit on the road, many times without taking the wheel off or jacking up the car (got dirty though). I drive/travel alot for work so this level of self-sufficiency was necessary. I was fortunate in that the flats were punctures to the tread, not sidewall damage. Disclaimer: don't drive around with plugs in your tire, even though I have.
A plug in a tire is just a temporary fix...like a spare....the only difference is, is you can go longer on the tire with the plug. I recommend to go ahead and spend the extra money for a new tire regardless!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATGIRL
A plug in a tire is just a temporary fix...like a spare....the only difference is, is you can go longer on the tire with the plug. I recommend to go ahead and spend the extra money for a new tire regardless!
The plugs that we have probably all used are temporary. A permanent plug/patch must be done from inside the tire.

I've taken our other cars to Wal-Mart for this several times. Never fails to amaze me, the pain they take to do this work right. (Maybe we've just got a good staff in this store). Jack up the car, remove the wheel, remove the tire, do the repair, and everything in reverse for about $6.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in