automatic and mods - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
automatic and mods

I think when mods become available for any sports car, the mod designers think that it will be installed most likely on a car with manual transmission. I've done a lot of research and talked with several dealers and I've come to the conclusion that the GTO's a4 transmission is a few tenths of a sec faster than the m6 in 0-60mph (a few tenths is a lot IMO). Maybe the manual is faster if you want to abuse the transmission, but I don't want to do that. My question is: If a computer decides when to change gears with an automatic, how will it react to engine mods like a supercharger? Will the computer think it's cool simply changing to the next gear sooner? Or will the computer have a fit because its programmer never taught it to handle a car with such different stats? Thanks.

Last edited by chris8299s; 01-14-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:57 AM

The computer will shift according to RPM and engine load (full throttle, half etc) The computer reprogramers will allow you to change the shift points accordingly. For example a new cam, exhaust changes the max torque RPM from 4850 to 4400 and supplies more torque. After running the car some you decide that the shift need to occur at 4700, you can use the programer to chage it and make the automatic shift quicker (read harder) if necessary.

Basically the computer will adapt and you can force it to adapt to you specific mods.

Hope this helps

Mods:

Hoen Lights, New Era Intake, YELLOW interior badge
Now: Running with the Devil!

Upcoming:
YELLOW calipers and rotor hats with pads (brand undecided)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 09:56 AM

Give your wife the automatic (Chick Shift) and get a Manual and then you won't have to worry about it.

With the turner/programer you should be able to run many mods and then go back to change the shift points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in