Bad Battery. Ruining Alternator? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bad Battery. Ruining Alternator?

I've had my GTO for a couple of days & when I first brought it home I put it on a battery charger because it had been sitting on the dealers lot for so long. The 'Green Eye' indicator on the battery is black & I can not get the battery to fully charge. I no doubt will have the battery replaced soon.

However while my battery will start the car I have bad feelings about driving it without the ability to keep a charge. This can not be good for the Alternator?

Any thoughts on driving the car till I can get it in or should I let it sit until I have the battery replaced?

Thanks for any & all replies.

Last
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:17 PM

The "green eye" is not always the best indicator of battery condition. The new replacement Delco batteries don't even have the eye. If the car is starting OK and you arent getting any SES light, then don't sweat it. Once you have started the car, the battery is doing nothing but being recharged. The alternator is what supplies the vehicle with current and the battery is just giong along for the ride.
If the car won't start after a few days of sitting, then you should have the battery replaced.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

I agree that the battery is doing nothing for the car once you've started it but won't the alternator have to work harder to try to charge a battery that won't go to a full charge?

Thanks for your reply.

Last

btw: no SES light.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:58 PM

I don't believe so. The battery just won't take any more charge.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 11:58 PM

I noticed the eye on my battery is black also and that the battery is not sealed like a maintenance free battery should be. My next battery will be an Optima or an Interstate.

Also when the engine is at idle most cars do not produce enough power for the electrical load, thus you do run off you battery at idle. Also if your battery was bad and causing a problem with your alternator then the computer would give an indication. OBDII systems are nice.

Mods:

Hoen Lights, New Era Intake, YELLOW interior badge
Now: Running with the Devil!

Upcoming:
YELLOW calipers and rotor hats with pads (brand undecided)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Also when the engine is at idle most cars do not produce enough power for the electrical load, thus you do run off you battery at idle.

Get yourself a hand held volt meter. Start your car and turn on your headlights, A/C, stereo, and whatever else you can think of. Check the battery voltage when the car is at idle. Turn off the ignition only and check your battery voltage again.
The car manufacturures are not going to give you a vehicle that would deplete itself if you were to get stuck in hours of traffic with headlights, heater, windshield wipers etc., all running at the same time.
I run a late model 100 amp alternator on my 65' with an underdrive crank pulley and a larger diameter alternator pulley. Even with the alt. turning slower (at idle) than the factory intended, the car will still idle at 14.4 volts.

Just my .02 volts worth,

Brian
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock421
Get yourself a hand held volt meter. Start your car and turn on your headlights, A/C, stereo, and whatever else you can think of. Check the battery voltage when the car is at idle. Turn off the ignition only and check your battery voltage again.
Brian
Hey, thanks for the instructions! I've got a volt meter on the way from Harbor Freight.

What a great forum!

Thanks again.

Last
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in