User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Bad Lifter???

Alright so the past few weeks have made me start to hate my goat. First the radiator cracked and needed a new one, and then the infamous "clicking, chattering" sound started. Took it to the shop and they said it was the manifold gasket, which they fixed, but the noise continued. Took it back and they said it could be a bad lifter, but for whatever reason they did a fresh oil and filter change and now the noise is gone (for now). So my question is, if it is a bad lifter would changing the oil really help, even if its only temporary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrchrls View Post
Alright so the past few weeks have made me start to hate my goat. First the radiator cracked and needed a new one, and then the infamous "clicking, chattering" sound started. Took it to the shop and they said it was the manifold gasket, which they fixed, but the noise continued. Took it back and they said it could be a bad lifter, but for whatever reason they did a fresh oil and filter change and now the noise is gone (for now). So my question is, if it is a bad lifter would changing the oil really help, even if its only temporary?
Do you have headers or is it the stock manifolds?? I know mine got "noisier" after my header install. Kinda like the sewing machine type chatter, but from what I've read and researched this is normal. Being that it stopped follwing the oil change would lead me to something else.

God Bless Billiards!!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:18 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Lifters usually don't fix themselves. Could the oil have been low maybe? Low oil and/or pressure or debris that got up to the lifter are two main causes short of real failure.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
Lifters usually don't fix themselves. Could the oil have been low maybe? Low oil and/or pressure or debris that got up to the lifter are two main causes short of real failure.
Funny you say that. I have a motorcycle that had a lifter chattering. After an oil change it stopped. Come to find out there was debri partially obstructing one lifter causing the chatter. Drained the oil and filtered it. Little bits of who knows what were in the oil

God Bless Billiards!!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Nope, everything is stock. But good news is, it's been a week since the oil change and so far so good. The shop also said it could have been debris in the oil but seems strange since I change the oil on schedule everytime.
Thanks for the replies and input, definitely some peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in