Battery problem...HELP! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Battery problem...HELP!

Ok, I'm not the smartest car guy in the world, but I've got a battery issue. I bought a "jump-start" battery charger because my 04 GTO is stored in my garage for the winter. I was doing pretty good starting it at least once a week, but the past few weeks I didn't have time. So, I tried to start it a few days ago and the battery was dead. I bought a "jump-start" battery charger to jump my GTO, and it worked great. But, after letting it run for about 10 minutes, I turned off the car and tried to re-start it. The car's lights turned on, but the car just ticked and wouldn't start at all.

Is my battery dead? I didn't think so since my interior lights still turned on when I put the keys in the ignition. I was thinking maybe the "jump-start" battery charger wasn't fully charged and maybe thats why my car wouldn't start the second time...any ideas?

I know this sounds like a rookie question, but I am so any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Garage
A jump box is not good for a battery, so your battery is dead and the jump box is probably dead also. Get a decent charger, and charge the battery at 2 amps to fully charge it, 10 amps is good, but doesn't fully charge the battery. If the charger has a maintenance mode, .3 amps you can leave it on, but it's better to get a battery tender that will maintain the battery while it's parked. It's really bad on a battery to let it go dead. Charging it every now and then will maintain a battery if you don't let it go dead. Charge the battery and put a load tester on it and see if it's any good, or take it to autozone and they can test the battery for you.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 PM

Battery

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM

Garage
i had the same problem i put my battery charger on it and i havnt started in about a week due to the foot of snow out side but today i went out and fired right up battery charger help
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Invest in a battery tender. Leave it plugged in and connected to the battery. Overcharging a battery will destroy it as well.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:01 PM

cant this also be an alternator problem? i've had the same problem with my truck. not quite a GTO but i had to change out my alternator.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
He really didn't give enough info to come to that conclusion. If he has put a voltmeter on it while it was running it would show which direction to look, battery or charging system.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSabattini View Post
cant this also be an alternator problem? i've had the same problem with my truck. not quite a GTO but i had to change out my alternator.
Not to say it isn't but its unlikely being the car is not that old. This battery powers a lot. Even though the lights, horn etc function, there may not be enough juice to crank it over.
The age of the battery nor the make was not stated. The car is an '04 its unlikely the OEM battery is in there. Cheaper batteries like Deka don't last more than 3-4 years.
Not enough info was produced. I am theorizing here. A Battery Tender is a must have. Once sulfation begins even being hooked to a tender won't stop it from its demise.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM

I bought a Optima yellow top deep cycle battery. Kinda expensive battery but if you let your car sit for long periods of time I think it is worth it. The optima will go down just like every other battery but you can jump start it and it comes right back to life over and over again. Standard batteries dont like to be ran down and will not last long in a car that isnt used much.

05 GTO A4- Svede otrcai, Fast 102, Livernois stg 2 ported heads, Texas Speed 224R cam, Pacesetter LT's, Edge 3000 stall, Kooks afterburners, Pedders 0 drp rear springs and shocks, MT et streets, 418rwhp/391rwtq, [email protected]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 06:27 PM

Garage
There are 3 basic types of batteries, deep cycles, deep cycle/cranking, and cranking batteries. Deep cycles don't have the CCA-cold cranking amps to really spin a car over, but will last forever, and are twice as heavy as a cranking battery. Deep cycle/cranking is for boats that have trowling motors, multi use. Cars use cranking batteries, like the red top optima. The secret to battery life is keeping it charged, don't let it go dead...

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in