LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Best Deal on the Rip Shifter?

Looking to install the GMM rip shifter. Who has the best prices?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Speed inc. is were I bought mine from. I don't know who else sells Ripshifters besides JHP that is more expensive than Speed Inc.

Speed Inc - Parts Warehouse - FREE SHIPPING

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
For me I cannot justify close 400 for one. I'm gonna have to really dislike the OEM shifter a whole lot before I would even consider spending that much. I know how great these work but I don't have any issues with mine to warrant that kind of money. I'd consider used.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
The GMM was probably the best mod I did to the car. Shifting is something you do all the time and the positive feel and effortless 2>3 shift made it well worth it.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:31 PM

im looking to install the rip shift as well when i get my clutch replaced...i heard it was unbelievable too...but your right 400 is a bit lot for it, but i personally think it is worth it.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:02 PM

buy it directly from gmm it is $350 and shipping is included.. also the fact of the matter is it IS kinda spendy for what it is.. but it is worth it because it is the best shifter out there for the gto simply because the b&m are known to break and the others are just a shorter version of the stock one which sucks because of how loose the linkage is.. for example put your car in gear and notice how much your shifter still moves, without taking it out of gear. the gmm on the other hand has ZERO movement. also does any one have the race version? what are your thoughts on it?

straight piped cat back, JBA shortys, JBA wires, AEM ca, and 421 slp tune
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat05 View Post
buy it directly from gmm it is $350 and shipping is included.. also the fact of the matter is it IS kinda spendy for what it is.. but it is worth it because it is the best shifter out there for the gto simply because the b&m are known to break and the others are just a shorter version of the stock one which sucks because of how loose the linkage is.. for example put your car in gear and notice how much your shifter still moves, without taking it out of gear. the gmm on the other hand has ZERO movement. also does any one have the race version? what are your thoughts on it?
I have the "race" version and really like it with no issues. Some have reported noise but that may be from install technique or possibly a noisy transmission.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
I have the "race" version and really like it with no issues. Some have reported noise but that may be from install technique or possibly a noisy transmission.
how is it driving in the streets? Is it hard with driveability driving normal speeds?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
For me I cannot justify close 400 for one. I'm gonna have to really dislike the OEM shifter a whole lot before I would even consider spending that much. I know how great these work but I don't have any issues with mine to warrant that kind of money. I'd consider used.
I was in the same boat as you, and the wife thought the same thing asking why spend $350+ on something. I had to actuly drive one to push me over. I hated the stick in the mud feeling and blowing shifts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat05 View Post
also does any one have the race version? what are your thoughts on it?
I have the race ver. I like it alot and don't regret it. Its alittle noisey at times and thats mostly due to the shifter knob witch don't do it that much really. My stock shifter made alittle noise thought the knob. Thats why they offer the street ver. because it uses the factory insulated shifter handle. The stock shifter assy is double insulated and dampens most of the driveline noise. The GMM is a direct mount so your going to get some noise. I used both boots the black one and the white one and still get a little to no noise.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 PM

ya i was the same way my buddy got one and before then i really didnt have a problem with the stock one but once i tried his i just had to have one! but what i really wondered about the race one is, is it shorter than your stock one was? because the street is the same height. or is it just more solid?

straight piped cat back, JBA shortys, JBA wires, AEM ca, and 421 slp tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in