Best intake / Exhaust combo? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best intake / Exhaust combo?

Hi all, just wanted to ask if anyone had modified their flow system and what is regarded as the best exhaust mfr in the US for performance exhausts.
I have used K&N air intakes in the UK and got impressive performance.

Thanks

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 11:47 AM
adearmas

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Don't throw away your money!

04' GTO has all the factory installed, best and most efficient airintake/exhaust system, period. You go ahead and put some KN airintake and you will have your LS1 gulping hot less dense air. Your parameteters will go bezerk and probably end up contaminating your system with oil. Your LS1 pistons will take in air by negative pressure and, as it is, it has all the air availbale it can handle. You don't need anymore because the GTO takes air in through the air dam, plenty of cold , dense air and routs it through proper diameter ducting into the airbox with a nice filter and then into your manifold where intake diameter gets much smaller so it does not matter what else you do outside. All sensors and software is designed for specific dimmensions of your system. The GTo electronically adjusts itself for the proper fuel/air mixture (See your silver GTO catalog that explains all of that). The KN airintake system, as well as all others, what it does for you is to spoil the whole design to allow hot, under the hood, undesirable useless air into your car's engine probably shortening its life.

The GTO exhaust system has been carefully designed to maximaize air flow from your engine. GTO engineers went at great lenght to design this system. Please, don't spoil it with some off the shelf magic pill type of solution. Don't fall for these aftermarket useless ideas.

Only way to actually increase significantly your vehicle's hp is to modify the engine which would take some finely tuned engineering to design, build and mantain. Unless your last name is Ford, Holden or GM don't get into it. Keep your GTO as it was designed for the job it was designed and take your money to enjoy a meal out with your gal. It is a powerhouse and a fantastic car as it is. It is a beautiful piece of engineering. If you still want more power get an 05' GTO.

Have fun driving it! I do.

Last edited by adearmas; 10-13-2004 at 11:54 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 02:14 PM

I'm not sure about CAI improvements, but here is a thread regarding the stock exhaust.

https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=98

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 03:57 PM

.......or........

Belive the dyno and install headers and a free-flow exhuast. There are only a few full systems out right now, but I haven't seen all the numbers, but any of them will be better then the stock system chock-full of flow robbing pinch points. I persoanlly like the looks of the side dump exhuast (and side skirts) offered through arrowheadperformance.com.

While adearmas is almost correct in saying that adding an entire intake system, with open element air filter, will suck in more hot air then the stock set-up, once moving, that effect is not nearly as pronounced. Add just a simple drop-in panel filter and you'll be doing yourself a favor.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 06:08 PM

I don't have the slightest idea about intakes because they are all sucking air from under the hood. Get one the sucks air from outside the engine bay and we'll talk.

As for exhaust, cut the stock exhaust off after the cats and add you own choice of exhaust. The stocker has a creese no more than a few inches from the exit of the cats. After the mufflers there is another creese in the exhaust and the two pipes cross over one another. I guess this is for equal length and sound. When my exhaust goes from 2 1/4 or 2 1/2, what ever is stock, down to a size no larger than a 1 1/2 creese you are creating significant back pressure and choking you engine.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 07:47 AM

I think I remember reading somewhere that the two pipes never actually 'cross-over', they are compeltly seperate from each other. The peice that looks like the x-over is actually welded shut....at least, thats what I read. Forget the reason stated as well, but it was a typical manufacturer's excuse.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=Tiger]

While adearmas is almost correct in saying that adding an entire intake system, with open element air filter, will suck in more hot air then the stock set-up, once moving, that effect is not nearly as pronouncedQUOTE]

Will the new hood with the scoops help bring cooler air into the engine compartment?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger
I think I remember reading somewhere that the two pipes never actually 'cross-over', they are compeltly seperate from each other. The peice that looks like the x-over is actually welded shut....at least, thats what I read. Forget the reason stated as well, but it was a typical manufacturer's excuse.
I wasn't saying there was anything such as a x or h-pipe type of design. I was stating that the two tubes actually are crossed over one another. The passenger exhaust exits on the driver side tipe and vise versa.

For the new hood, it is not going to so to speak bring cold air in. It is going to allow hot air from the engine to vent or escape.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 05:09 PM

"Will the new hood with the scoops help bring cooler air into the engine compartment?"
No! They're blocked off.

"For the new hood, it is not going to so to speak bring cold air in. It is going to allow hot air from the engine to vent or escape."

Wrong again !! see above. If you were to unblock them, they are holes straight into the engine bay. I would hate to see what the engine would look like after driving in a rain storm or worse yet SNOW, with open hood scoops....The scoops are forward facing not rearward.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 06:22 PM
adearmas

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Where you get that info. from. I read somewhere that it provides for engine ventilation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in