Broken shifer??? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Broken shifer???

Ok - I was on the way home from work and decided to drop the GTO into second (@40mph) and shifted cleanly up through 4th before letting off.

Immediately I noticed that all the FWD gears on the stick (1, 3, 5, R) are further forward to reach and do not provide any feedback that they're engaged like they usually did.

To my relief I verified that all gears still work, but my hand is touching the stereo in the FWD gears. Is this a broken shifter? Tried the FAQ but to no avail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Do you have an aftermarket shifter? Either way, I think some of the bolts might have backed out between the stick and the mounting plate. Easy enough to fix.

Do you know how to remove the top of the console in order to eyeball it? If not, download this: http://www.bmracing.com/malloy/GTOinstructions.pdf
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

BA, thanks for the link. Looks like I'm in some trouble. Took the stock shifter out and the plate to which it mounts broke just at the rearmost bolts!! This is a thick casting but this cantilever design is prone for failure.

Too bad the car has 39k on it....no warranty.

Anyway, I can't get to the two forward 6mm bolts to remove the mounting plate without maybe dropping the tranny, something I don't think I want to get into.

Any suggestions? I could maybe bandaid it back together as 2,4 & 6th gears worked pretty well even when broken.

Thanks!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 PM

Any pics?

Maybe you can have it welded?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abright52 View Post
Any pics?

Maybe you can have it welded?
No pics yet, but it you click on the link that B_A posted earlier it could be seen in Step 12. Just draw a line right between the two dark allen bolts and that's right where mine cracked.

I guess it couldn't hurt to try to weld. Thnks for the suggestion, I may think about it. I have a Meineke just down the street, but I'd have to get the broken shifter back in enough to drive it over there.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Well, after a little creativity I managed to get the forward two bolts holding the shifter base down off. Bought a long-handled 6mm allen wrench but had to cut off ~1/2 from the short end, thus allowing me to just squeeze it in.

I'll take the two broken halves of the base into the parts dept tomorrow and pray that I don't have to wait weeks to get a part shipped from Australia!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 06:56 PM

The same thing happened to my car (05' GTO) with the B&M shifter, except it was the rear that broke. The dealer did the repair. I'm 100% certain the got the bolts from a local hardware store. It wasn't cheap to get fixed either.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
The same thing happened to my car (05' GTO) with the B&M shifter, except it was the rear that broke. The dealer did the repair. I'm 100% certain the got the bolts from a local hardware store. It wasn't cheap to get fixed either.
This base piece is what the stock, or B&M shifter, would attach to via 4 bolts toward the rear side and three screws toward the fwd end. It has the bowl at the rear for the shifter and the hole on the front end where the stem is inserted. This piece doesn't usually have to be removed for an aftermarket shifter install, from what I can tell at least.

I hope to get lucky and find that the dealer stocks this part.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemeyer View Post
This base piece is what the stock, or B&M shifter, would attach to via 4 bolts toward the rear side and three screws toward the fwd end. It has the bowl at the rear for the shifter and the hole on the front end where the stem is inserted. This piece doesn't usually have to be removed for an aftermarket shifter install, from what I can tell at least.

I hope to get lucky and find that the dealer stocks this part.
Ok, this dang thing is $725!! Well, the dealer doesn't stock only this piece and the subassembly of parts, all of but one I need, is $725.

Any ideas? Can this be welded? My friend says cast is tough. Any GTO salvage yards? Thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 AM

Start with http://www.clevelandpickapart.com. There was a place in Oklahoma City that had a bunch of train wreck GTOs a couple of years ago, but I can't think of them. There's another place in Tennessee, too, but I've only heard of them once. I'd even send an e-mail at Sean Beatty at Hunter Holden in Sydney, Australia at [email protected]. He might know of an Aussie junkyard that can set you up. $725 for a part like that is plain stupid.

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 08-20-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in