User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
buying gto, warrenty?

I will probably buy a GTO today

2006 Used Pontiac GTO at Fincher's Texas Best Auto & Truck Sales in Houston, TX, IID 5437849

How is the Pontiac Warrenty these days knowing GM's situation. Can I extend the Warrenty on the GTO? could I buy a new warrenty?

Thanks
-ashaiba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Perhaps you should talk to the dealer. According to the ad it has a 'factory warranty'. I'm sure they could give you any details about the existing one and/or extending it.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
Perhaps you should talk to the dealer. According to the ad it has a 'factory warranty'. I'm sure they could give you any details about the existing one and/or extending it.
Thanks. Also, honestly, how reliable has your GTO been?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I've only had it about a year but no problems so far.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashaiba View Post

2006 Used Pontiac GTO at Fincher's Texas Best Auto & Truck Sales in Houston, TX, IID 5437849

How is the Pontiac Warrenty these days knowing GM's situation. Can I extend the Warrenty on the GTO? could I buy a new warrenty?

Thanks
-ashaiba
It should come 12/12 bumper to bumper I bought a 3/36 extension. I've been very happy with mine so far.

Gm is back in the green and has paid back 100% with interest all the money they got from Taxpayers. I just got the letter from them this week.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 PM

When I bought mine a little over a year ago, I bought an extended warranty 7 yr 100,000mile "Platinum" warranty. I think I paid about $3000 or so for it. The car only had 22,000 miles on it. The more miles it has the more expensive the extended warranty will be. Mine covers basically everything thats not a "wear" part, like shocks, brakes, etc.. $50 deductible and they just fix it. Has come in handy a few times so far. These cars are reliable but when they do break down it can be pricey..especially at the dealer. But I can take mine to any repair facility that specializes in our type of cars they just have to call to get approval before fixing.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lautinjr View Post
It should come 12/12 bumper to bumper I bought a 3/36 extension. I've been very happy with mine so far.

Gm is back in the green and has paid back 100% with interest all the money they got from Taxpayers. I just got the letter from them this week.
Sorry for going off topic, but actually, GM is being a little deceptive on this. The in fact did pay off one loan with interest, five years early. But they used money from the TARP bailout to pay it off. They basically took money out of one pocket and put in the other. Here is the story on what they really did if anyone is interested...
http://www.glgroup.com/News/Did-GM-P...lly-47948.html

2004 Yellow Jacket M6
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 12:56 PM

I wouldn't even call with their asking price. You can do much better then that. It does have SAP grills and bumpers.... but no 05/06 hood. Also has 17s.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashaiba View Post

Thanks
-ashaiba
As soon as I saw this I seen it is out of factory warranty. How? Look at the miles... 37,275 Factory ended at 36K. Balance of factory warranty? It expired.. False advertising. Unless a GMPP was taken out on that car before the factory 3/36 expired a GMPP is not attainable, as a GMPP must be taken out before the original warranty expires. At best an extended warranty from one of many would be the only way to go. Meaning you will have to shop for one or have the dealer help you.

Incidentally the factory warranty begins the first day the car is put into service which more than likely at 4 years out it probably was.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFrank View Post
Sorry for going off topic, but actually, GM is being a little deceptive on this. The in fact did pay off one loan with interest, five years early. But they used money from the TARP bailout to pay it off. They basically took money out of one pocket and put in the other. Here is the story on what they really did if anyone is interested...
Did GM Pay Back Its Loan? Not Really - GLG News
As long as the FEDS retain majority ownership status, right now they own 61%, GM can burn in hell. I do not see the FEDS relinquishing control, they are in the process of trying to acquire private enterprise one sector at a time. KUDOS to FORD, I am not a FORD guy but I would buy a new FORD over GM or Chrysler until the FEDS give it back. I do not see this happening at least before 2012 if we are all lucky.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in