CAGS eliminated! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CAGS eliminated!

I followed the instructions from LS1.com, and the entire process took about 15mins, which included unpacking and setting up my hydraulic floor jack, which was previously unused.

It works perfectly, and the pack of 5 x 2200ohm, 0.5W resistors was only $0.99 at Radio Shack. Much better than even the $15 CAGS Eliminator that I saw on one website - I saw one for $60 on another site! That one must add 3 rwhp.

I am sooo happy that thing is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 10:24 PM

I need to do that also! I'm in Austin too. Where did you buy your car at?

Last edited by jetix; 02-14-2005 at 10:26 PM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Hey - glad to meet a fellow Austinite here on the forum! I got mine at Champion Autoplex on 183 & Lamar. Did the Internet special with their Internet sales guy, (Jay), and it was all very easy. They brought it in from Louisiana since there wasn't one in my combo available locally. They drove it back instead of flat-bedding it, which has pros and cons. Cons are that it had 500miles on it when I took possession, pros, it was already broken-in and the miles don't count against my lease.

I've got 4 spare 2200ohm resistors if you want to save $0.99. Also have a hydraulic floor jack which made things easy. I'm over in the Westlake area.

Cheers,

Jonty

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 08:29 PM

You could have got have saved the time and money and used it toward a customer tune, Superchip, or Predator and got the CAGS eliminated and more HP from the better tuning.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:45 PM

Hi Jonty,
I'm up in Anderson Mill. I too purchased my car from Champion. They did right by me. I got mine just before Christmas. Did my first oil change tonight. The skid plate was easy to deal with by leaving one of the four bolts in, but loose. Just rotated it out of the way. It would be neat if we could get the local Goat owners together sometime.
Regards,
Jim
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
You could have got have saved the time and money and used it toward a customer tune, Superchip, or Predator and got the CAGS eliminated and more HP from the better tuning.
You mean I could have saved the entire $0.99!!! And all I would have had to shell out was the $300 or whatever a custom tune would cost. Doh!

Actually, the 350hp on tap is all I need right now - I just wanted to get rid of the CAGS.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 01:41 PM

Does it really force you into the higher gear...like move the lever for you? I never understood that deal....
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 02:57 PM

When you're at a certain speed in 1st (15-19mph I believe) and at 20% throttle or less it activates a solenoid that only lets you shift from 1st to 4th. Of course the only time I'm at that throttle level is when I'm behind someone coming off a stop so I go ahead and use it. Otherwise you can just go into neutral, blip the throttle then go into any gear you want.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 03:03 PM

So it activates a gate or a something that literaly(sp) blocks the lever from going into say second?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Yup - literally puts something in the way of shifting anywhere other than 4th, at least until your revs go somewhere other than the pre-set range in which the CAGS gets activated.

It's not anything you can't drive around, usually by getting on the gas enough to go above the CAGS window, but it's a real PITA in some situations. Stop'n'go traffic can be annoying, but the worst is when you're stopped, say at a light, and you're going to immediately turn as you pull away - like when you're at an intersection for instance. You pull away at relatively low throttle, but not parking-lot low, you've turned on to a main road, and DAMMIT! I'M LUGGING IN 4TH AT 20MPH!. You shift back into 2nd or 3rd, lurching as you do it, and everyone around you looks at you thinking you haven't figured out how to drive a manual.

But you can get rid of it by reprogramming your tune, (retuning your program?), buying a Skip-shift-eliminator for $15-$60 on the web, or getting a resistor from Radio Shack per the instructions on LS1.com, and sticking it in the end of the cable that activiates the wretched thing - fooling it into thinking it's jacking with your drive, when in fact it is signalling to a resistor! Yay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in