California to crack down on modified cars - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
California to crack down on modified cars

Just read where the federal government gave California 5 million to hunt for modified cars. Cars on the street with the emissions equipment completely removed are being impounded. If it appears that your car has been modified you will be issued a fix-it ticket and need to present to the DMV carb numbers for all aftermarket items on your car. The cost of the fix-it ticket is $35 instead of the standard $10, and if the DMV is unsure they will require you car to be smogged within 48 hours or taken off the road. They are doing this to crack down on illegal street racing. They are particularly tageting cars with window tint, wings, racing stickers, modified exhausts, and lowered cars. They have been doing this in San Diego so far and generated a lot of money, so they are expanding to statewide. The most common ticket is for an exhaust that is louder than stock.
This is not a good sign, they usually start this crap in California and move it to the east coast.
I wonder if they are looking at all the modified pick-ups too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 06:30 PM

nothing good ever came out of california..
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer
Just read where the federal government gave California 5 million to hunt for modified cars.
What's odd is that there are so many cars out here that are clearly out of tune that could be easily ticketed first. In San Francisco, there are 1000's of beaters that are blowing huge clouds of oil and raw fuel into the air -- and nobody goes after them.

What's kind of unfair about the situation is that San Francisco County, because it's right on the ocean with its breezes, passes Federal smog tests -- while the counties East of it -- where the filth goes -- gets funds held back on freeway construction, etc. because the air quality is so poor. That's totally ridiculous -- and Washington's responsible for that.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
nothing good ever came out of california..
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 07:33 PM

As the Federal Government now has to fiqure out how to pay for the cost of the tax cuts and the war on terror , the states will not be getting the Fed funding they are counting on to maintain their obligations. So taxation thru ticketing of automobiles is too tempting a possible solution - Florida also started this by changing many statues last month. It may take some time Nationwide but traffic enforcement is becoming a source of revenue which will not be fair and will not be based on Safety as will be declared... Enjoy your mods while you can...

Last edited by Xcommuter; 08-06-2005 at 07:36 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcommuter
So taxation thru ticketing of automobiles is too tempting a possible solution
Our town just put its first red light cameras in about 6 weeks ago. In the first month of operation, it got 2,200 people -- for tickets at $300 a piece.

Don't mind red light runners getting nailed -- it's the overgrown meter maids sitting in the bushes with radar guns for no good reason that fry me.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
What exactally is smogging a car? I assume it's a test to check to make sure the emissions are up to code? Being I am on the East Coast I haven't heard this term.

I've been around the Amish too long I guess.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge
What exactally is smogging a car? I assume it's a test to check to make sure the emissions are up to code? Being I am on the East Coast I haven't heard this term.

I've been around the Amish too long I guess.
Basically they hook up a handy little machine to the exhaust and see what kind of emissions it's giving off.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Our town just put its first red light cameras in about 6 weeks ago. In the first month of operation, it got 2,200 people -- for tickets at $300 a piece.
A city in the DFW area installed these and then slowly reduced the time the light showed yellow. They were catching people left and right until somebody figured it out and took them to court. The city lost and had to take them down.

05 Brakes w/ C5Pads, K&N CAI, TBCoolantByPass, -CAGS, , +Outlets, DeadPedal, UnSpoiled, GasCapHook, PedalsRightSideUp, HitchToGo,
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
A city in the DFW area installed these and then slowly reduced the time the light showed yellow. They were catching people left and right until somebody figured it out and took them to court. The city lost and had to take them down.
Studies have shown that at the lights that have cameras there are fewer accidents from people running lights. The problem is for every one t-bone less there are 3.4 more rear end accidents. Another problem with the cameras is that if you stop a little late, your tires just break the white line, you just got a ticket. If you inch up at the light and break the line, you just got a ticket.

The companies that make these things install them for free and then get a cut of the tickets. That's wrong too. What's next, are companies going to hire highwaymen to catch speeders on the interstate, for the government, for a cut of the take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in