Car unlocks itself? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Car unlocks itself?

I walked out to the car after the movies tonight and found it was unlocked. I'm certain I locked it and so did my wife. I've found it unlocked after work a couple of time in the past too when I thought I had locked it. Has anyone else been mystified by finding their car unlocked when they thought they had locked it. I'm wondering if some stray rf emissions may be tripping it.

I'll be the first one to crack the "senior moment". Yes, I'm over 50. My first muscle car was a '67 Charger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman
I walked out to the car after the movies tonight and found it was unlocked. I'm certain I locked it and so did my wife. I've found it unlocked after work a couple of time in the past too when I thought I had locked it. Has anyone else been mystified by finding their car unlocked when they thought they had locked it. I'm wondering if some stray rf emissions may be tripping it.

I'll be the first one to crack the "senior moment". Yes, I'm over 50. My first muscle car was a '67 Charger.
A couple of times I have hit the remote and thought thats strange I didn't hear it unlock. When I got to the car it was unlocked though. I'll have to check it out better, but I think I might be having the same thing.

I hate the range this key/remote has. My Camaro remotes worked from 60'. My Corvette would work from a 100' plus sometimes. This thing is 20-25' max, and there have been times that I had to be 5' away before it worked. The dealer told me it was because the Camaro and Corvette had lots of plastic body panels, and the steel on this car blocks the signal.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

I wouldn't be surprised that the location of the receiver and the steel components on our GTOs impacts keyless entry performance. I've also noticed that how vehicles are positioned around my GTO impacts the ability to lock the car. If there is a van between me and my GTO, I have to get real close or walk to the side to get a clear shot. Because its a bit finicky, I went into the start-up menu and changed it to allow the horn to beep (once on lock, twice on unlock).

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer
A couple of times I have hit the remote and thought thats strange I didn't hear it unlock. When I got to the car it was unlocked though. I'll have to check it out better, but I think I might be having the same thing.

I hate the range this key/remote has. My Camaro remotes worked from 60'. My Corvette would work from a 100' plus sometimes. This thing is 20-25' max, and there have been times that I had to be 5' away before it worked. The dealer told me it was because the Camaro and Corvette had lots of plastic body panels, and the steel on this car blocks the signal.
B#$%&^IT!!!! The problem is with the transmitter in the key. It simply doesn't have enough output to transmit very far. My Viper remotes (all 8 of them) give me up to 150' of range, and they're all on steel-bodied cars. Try replacing the battery in the key, that may help also.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax
B#$%&^IT!!!! The problem is with the transmitter in the key. It simply doesn't have enough output to transmit very far. My Viper remotes (all 8 of them) give me up to 150' of range, and they're all on steel-bodied cars. Try replacing the battery in the key, that may help also.
The battery is not replaceable. I had a Ford Contour SVT and the same thing, if I was more than 1 parking spot away nothing. My Nissan Sentra SER Spec V pdq wgh kghte #@$& u was the exact same way. A friend has a Maxima though and he gets abut 40' worth of range.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 12:25 PM

I'm not a big fan of this key fob at all. It's too big and when I'm working in the garage -- if I'm leaning over and working on something -- the doors lock and unlock and the trunk pops open. What a pain. At least it doesn't have one of those panic buttons that causes the horn to go nuts. That's always fun when the car's hood is a foot away from you in an enclosed space!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Tonight, I walked out to my unlock car, opened the door, and the alarm went off. Gremlins?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:01 AM

why would you want to unlock your car from 100 feet away anyway..whiners!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmoker
why would you want to unlock your car from 100 feet away anyway..whiners!

The only thing I would want to do is start it from far away...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:24 AM

I don't know that I would want the remote start-up feature. There was a guy on the news here a while ago that had his Viper stolen while he was 100 feet away and had started and unlocked his car while walking to it. Right after unlocking it a guy that was oddly hanging near the car ran up, jumped in and sped off.... must suck watching your car be stolen right in front of you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in